Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery is known as GNM Nursing 2021. It is basically a three to four-year duration course in Paramedical Field. The objective of this profession is to provide care to individuals, families, and communities. The Indian Nursing Council is the main conducting body of the GNM 2021 Nursing and Midwifery. However, through GNM Nursing, candidates can pursue their careers in Clinical Nursing. The course structure of colleges that offer GNM Nursing varies from University to University. Before moving to the details, let us take a quick look at some of the top colleges which offer GNM Nursing Courses. So, in this article, we have provided complete details about General Nursing and Midwifery Admission as well as Academic details. Read here to know more about the Nursing Entrance Examinations.
Subscribe For Latest Updates
List of the Top Colleges that provide GNM Nursing 2021 Admission
Well, there are hundreds of colleges in India that offer GNM Courses. The admission procedure of each GNM Nursing college can be different. In addition, there are both private and government GNM Colleges. Furthermore, some of the best known GNM Nursing Colleges are as follows:
- NMS University, Jaipur
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Government Medical College, Kozhikode
- Noida International College/ University, Gautam Buddha Nagar
The listed Universities offer an average tuition fee of Rs 10,000 to 5 Lakhs for a time period of 3 to 4 years. Generally, the duration of this course is 3 to 4 years, also there are some Institutions that offer a six-month Internship after the end of the course as well. In addition, you can also go for this course on a part-time basis as well. Thus, you have good career opportunities in this field.
About General Nursing and Midwifery – Course and Profession
- The GNM Nursing Midwifery is a three to four-year course diploma programme that is designed for the students who want to pursue their careers in Clinical Nursing Program.
- The Course programmes teach the aspirants how to take care of the patients and help them to attain recovery.
- GNM 2021 Nursing Program includes both theoretical and practical knowledge for the aspirants who want to pursue their careers in this. As said, some of the Universities offer a six-month Internship Course at the end of the Course. After the completion of the Internship Program, the applicant gets a Diploma Degree. In Short, this is a three and half year course program with an Internship mandatory for all the candidates.
- And now, talking about the Profession, then this course program is designed in a way to make the students capable of working and making their path in the Medical and Healthcare Community. Applicants who are willing for Higher Education can also go for further courses.
- Hence, the Nursing Career is all about taking care of a sick patient and maternity care as a profession. So, if you are looking to make a career in Nursing, then GNM Nursing could a smart start.
What is the eligibility criteria of GNM Nursing 2021
Fulfilling the eligibility criteria is the most important factor in GNM Nursing. If a candidate satisfies the eligibility criteria, then he/ she shall be eligible to apply for the offered course. Moreover, the eligibility criteria mainly include age-limit and educational qualifications. The prescribed general GNM eligibility criteria are further as follows:
- The Minimum Age of the Candidate must be 17 years as of 31st December of the academic year.
- Applicant must have qualified 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as compulsory subjects.
- The minimum aggregate marks required for applying for this course are 45% for General Category and 40% for Reserved Category.
GNM 2021 Eligibility For Arts/ Commerce Students
- Candidates who have completed their 12th Class in Arts/ Commerce Field are also eligible for the course. In fact, this can be an opportunity for the candidates to start their career in Nursing Field.
- The Age and Minimum Qualifying Marks Criteria is the same as that of the Science Candidates.
- The Below Mentioned Diagram shall help you to understand making your choice in Nursing Field.
- Hence, the candidates who belong to the Arts/ Commerce Background can also apply for GNM Nursing Course.
Admission Process of GNM Nursing 2021
The Admission Process of General Nursing and Midwifery usually starts in the month of June of every year. Candidates who have completed Class 12th can apply for this course having Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their compulsory subjects.
The Admission of the candidate into GNM 2021 Nursing is done on the basis of the Intermediate Marks and Individual Interview. Well, there are some Institutions that conduct their separate entrance exams for these courses or take students on the basis of the State-Level Diploma Entrance Exams. The GNM Courses offers both Graduate and Post-Graduate Course to the applicants. Thus, the course duration of the exam is 3 years and 6 months.
The Course Curriculum of General Nursing and Midwifery comprises of the following:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Biological Science
- Behavioral Science
- First Aid
- Fundamentals of Nursing
List of the Institutes that Offer Diploma in GNM with Average Annual Fees
There are many Institutes that offer a Diploma Course in General B.Sc Nursing and Midwifery. Here, we have listed out of the best Institutes with an approximate annual fee. Through this list, candidates can easily determine, which institute they want to get admission in or is on their list.
|Name of the Institute||City||Annual Fees in INR (approx)|
|Christian Medical Institute||Vellore, Tamil Nadu||Rs 1, 14, 000/-|
|Armed Forces Medical College – (AFMC Pune)||Pune, Maharashtra||Rs 45, 510/-|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research – (JIPMER)||Puducherry||Rs 4093/-|
|Madras Medical College – (MMC)||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Rs 875/-|
|Sri Ramchandra University, Chennai||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Rs 1, 00, 000/-|
|Andhra University of Science and Technology||Visakhapatnam||Rs 10, 000/-|
|SRM University Kattankulathur Campus – (SRM), Kanchipuram||Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu||Rs 76, 250/-|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth University – (BVU), Pune||Pune, Maharashtra||Rs 75, 000/-|
|The University of Calicut, Calicut||Calicut, Kerala||Rs 72, 000/-|
|Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (IPGMER)||Kolkata and West Bengal||Rs 12, 500/-|
|Symbiosis International University||Pune, Maharashtra||Rs 65, 750/-|
|Bangalore Medical College and Institute||Bangalore, Karnataka||Rs 50, 000/-|
|Banaras Hindu University – BHU||Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh||Rs 2, 785/-|
|Government Medical College – GMC||Nagpur, Maharashtra||Rs 26, 400/-|
|NIMS University, Jaipur||Jaipur, Rajasthan||Rs 74, 000/-|
|AYUSH and Health University- AHSU||Raipur, Chhatisgarh||Rs 28, 890/-|
|Government Medical College, Kozhikode||Kozhikode, Kerala||Rs 12, 000/-|
|Sharda University – SU||Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh||Rs 1, 30, 000/-|
|Government Medical College/ Rajindra Hospital (GMCP)||Patiala, Punjab||Rs 30, 000/-|
|Thrissur Govt. Medical College||Thrissur, Kerala||Rs 39, 000/-|
Check – ANM Syllabus
Thus, here you can see that all the above colleges mentioned here provide GNM Courses. The duration of these courses might vary from different college to college.
Selection Process of GNM Nursing 2021
Generally, the GNM Nursing Career Selection is done soon after the 10+2 Exams. There are some Institutes that conduct separate entrance exams for admission. The State GNM Training Allocation Center does not conduct any Entrance Exams, instead, they select the candidates on the basis of 10+2 marks.
Selection Procedure of State GNM Training Institutes and Colleges
- To start with, the State GNM first releases the Application Form on their respective official website. The usual release of the online form dates is between June- September.
- After the submission of the application form, the Authority/ Department analyzes the scores and categories of the candidates. The normalization of marks is also done.
- If more than two candidates score the same number of marks in their Exam, then Tie-Breaking Criteria is done.
- Soon after the scanning of the marks, the Department releases the Merit List on its official website.
- Candidates have to submit their Application ID/ Number and Password to check their selection status.
Thus, the State GNM Nursing Selection takes place on the basis of 10th and 12th Standard marks. Therefore, we advise you to fill in the form and keep the registration number and password safe. However, the declaration of the merit list takes a quite lot of time. But we suggest you stay calm and patient. We shall update you with the recent notifications here.
What are the GNM Nursing Entrance Exams?
Now, coming to the Nursing Entrance Exams, there are a lot of Institutes and Universities that conduct the GNM Admission Exams. Some of the Institutes and Colleges select the candidates on the basis of their 10+2 academic scores, whereas, there are some colleges, which conduct their own entrance exams and select deserving candidates.
The list of the Top GNM Nursing 2021 Exams are as follows-
- AIIMS Nursing Entrance Exam
- BHU Nursing Entrance Exam
- JIPMER Nursing Entrance Exam
- RUHS Nursing Admission Entrance Exam
- NTRUHS Nursing Entrance Test
- Adesh University Nursing Admission
- PGIMER Nursing Entrance Exam
- KGMU B.Sc Nursing Admission
- KIIMS University Entrance Examination
- Uttarakhand HNBUMU Nursing Admission
- Punjab BFUHS PPMET Nursing Admission 2021
- Shillong NEIGRIHMS Nursing Entrance Test
- HPU B.Sc Nursing Admission
- MCD Admission Exam
State-Wise GNM Nursing 2021 Entrance Exams
Each state conducts its own GNM Entrance Admission Exam. The procedure of these state-wise GNM Nursing Exams are conducted separately. The list of the states that conduct separate entrance exam of General Nursing and Midwifery are as follows-
|S. No.||State-Wise Entrance Exam||Conducting State|
|1||Gujarat GNM Entrance Examination||Gujarat|
|2||Haryana GNM Entrance Exam||Haryana|
|3||West Bengal GNM Exam||West Bengal|
|4||Uttarakhand General Nursing and Midwifery Exam||Uttarakhand|
|5||GMH Chandigarh GNM Nursing||Chandigarh|
|6||Uttar Pradesh (UP) GNM Entrance Exam||Uttar Pradesh|
|7||Odisha GNM/ANM Admission||Odisha|
|8||MP GNTST/PNST Admission||Madhya Pradesh|
|9||Jharkhand GNM/ANM Nursing Entrance Test||Jharkhand|
|10||Rajasthan ANM Admission 2021||Rajasthan|
|11||Bihar GNM 2021 Admission||Bihar|
|12||AP GNM Nursing Admission||Andhra Pradesh|
|13||Chhattisgarh GNM Admission Exam||Chhattisgarh|
|14||Punjab GNM Admission 2021||Punjab|
|15||Kerala GNM Admission Process||Kerala|
|16||Goa Nursing Admission 2021||Goa|
|17||Tamil Nadu Nursing||Tamil Nadu|
|18||Rajasthan GNM Nursing Admission||Rajasthan|
Check – MP PAHUNT 2021
General Nursing and Midwifery 2021 – Exam Pattern
Before, going for the admission process of GNM Nursing 2021, candidates have to appear for the Entrance Examination. Some of the institutes conduct a separate entrance examination to get admission into these colleges. Therefore, candidates who are willing to get a seat in the college have to clear the entrance examination. However, there are some colleges that provide admission on the basis of candidates’ performance in 10+2 as well. Further, the Exam Pattern of GNM 2021 Nursing Entrance Exam is as follows-
- Offline/ Online Computer Based Test
- Multiple Choice Objective Based Questions
- Negative Marking
- The Exam Paper is divided into sections – Physics, Chemistry, Biology.
- Some of the Exams do include sections for General Knowledge, English Language, and Quantitative Reasoning and Logical Aptitude.
These Entrance Exams have a minimum qualifying mark which shall help the Examination Authority to select the aspiring candidates.
GNM Nursing 2021 – Syllabus and Academic Course Description
To begin with, the Syllabus and Academic Course Description, let us talk about the course duration program of the Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery. As mentioned, earlier, the GNM is a three-year course duration program with a six-month Internship Program which is mandatory to take by all the applicants who are taking the Diploma Program. Furthermore, the internship program is done at the end of the course program. After the completion of the Internship Program, candidates are issued a Diploma Degree.
In order to make it more clear, we have given complete details about the GNM Nursing 2021 Academic Course (Year-Wise).
GNM 2021 Nursing (First Year Syllabus)
|Name of the Subject||Theory Hours and Supervised Practice|
|Anatomy and Physiology||90|
|Fundamentals of Nursing||215|
|Fundamental Of Nursing||175|
|Community Health Nursing- I||150|
|Community Health Nursing||80|
|Health Education and Communication Skill||20|
|Total Hours in the First Year||575|
Check – GNM Syllabus 2021
GNM Nursing and Midwifery (Second Year Syllabus)
|Name of the Subject||Total Hours Course Module|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing-I||360 Hours|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing-II (Specialities)|
|Ear, Nose, and Throat|
|Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing|
|Community Health Nursing|
GNM Nursing 2021 (Third Year Syllabus)
|Advanced Community Health Nursing||Pediatric Nursing|
|Community Health Nursing-II||Educational Methods and Media for teaching in Practice for Nursing|
|Health Economics||Administration and Ward Management|
|Professional Trends and Management|
GNM 2021 Course Subject (Internship Period) – Fourth Year
The Time Period of the Internship is of six months. Candidates have to complete the Internship anyhow. After the completion of the Internship, the applicants receive their Diploma Degree in General Nursing and Midwifery.
GNM Nursing Scheme of the Examination
After admission to the respective GNM Training Institutes and Colleges, candidates have to undergo examinations every year. The Semester/ Yearly Exam comprises the Internal Assessment and Council Exam. Hence, candidates can check the scheme of the exam here in this section-
What is GNM Nursing 2021 Council Exam?
The GNM Council Exam is the kind of semester exam that takes place every year. This exam is conducted by the respective State Nursing Council. The details of the GNM Internal Assessment and Council Exam are available in the exam. Candidates further need to score the minimum qualifying marks for being eligible for the successive semesters. Also, candidates should check the respective nursing council website to check the passing criteria.
Eligibility Criteria for GNM Council 2021 Exam
Well, to appear for the General Nursing and Midwifery Council Exam, you need to satisfy the following eligibility conditions –
- The candidates must complete not less than 11 months of the course.
- You need to have 100% attendance in all the clinical areas.
- Moreover, a student has to pass both the Theory and Practical Exam separately in each of these papers.
- You need to have 75% attendance in Theory class.
- You must pass the Internal Assessment in each subject both in theory and practical by securing 50% marks separately in each subject and practical.
- Further, the records of the practical experience have to be updated periodically.
Rules of Passing in the GNM Nursing Exam 2021
- The candidate must score a minimum of 50% marks in each head of passing and 50% marks in aggregate in the council exams.
- If you fail the exam, then you are not eligible to go to the higher class. Therefore, passing the exam is very important so as to get into the Higher Level Examination.
- If in case you fail in either Practical or Theory or in both of them, then you are considered as failed. As a result, you have to appear in the exam again (both theory and practical).
- A candidate is declared passed with distinction if he/ she secures more than 80% marks. The student is considered as “First Class” if he/ she scores between 70% to 79%, “Second-Division” if he/ she scores between 60- 69%, and Third-Division, 50 to 59%.
Check – GNM Nursing Application Form
Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery – Best Books
In order to make your basic fundamentals in GNM Nursing 2021, it is very much important that you follow a good set of books. Hence, Some of the best books for Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery are-
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author|
|Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology||Kaarna Muni Sekhar|
|Community Health Nursing||S. Bhagya Lakshmi|
|Psychology and Sociology||K. Madhvi|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing||P.M Pratibha|
|Child Health Nursing||S. Gomathi|
|G.N.M Midwifery Case Book||Mrs. P. Lavanya|
|Community Health Nursing||G. Gnanaprasune|
Check – GNM Nursing Counselling 2021
Diploma in GNM Nursing 2021 – Career Opportunities
What after the completion of the GNM Diploma in Nursing? Is there any scope of good career growth and opportunity? Well, it is one of the most responsible careers. The profession itself holds a lot of dedication, balance, responsibility, and honesty. All in all, the starting stage might be a little slow, but as you know that, the requirement for qualified and skilled nurses is in great demand. Thus, employment opportunities in this profession are available in various sectors such as Government/ Private/ Educational Sector and much more. Therefore if you have studied for the Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery, then you must definitely take a look at the Career Prospects of General Nursing.
Employment Areas for this Profession – GNM Nursing 2021
Nursing is a full-time job opportunity. GNM Diploma Holders can also work under different community centers or Health Departments. A Diploma Student in General Nursing and Midwifery can receive employment opportunities in the following areas-
- Private Hospitals
- Government Hospitals
- TV and Jobs
- Forensic Jobs
- Nursing Homes
- Nursing Tutor
- ICU Nurse
- Old Age Homes
- Armed Forces
- Teaching and Education
- Material Purchase and Logistics Jobs
- Travel and Tourism Nursing Jobs
The Average Salary of a Diploma Candidate in General Nursing 2021, range from Rs 1.5 Lakhs to 3 Lakhs for a fresher. In addition, the Government Sector-based jobs offer a better salary to the freshers. Some of the popular hiring organizations are- Red Cross Society, Anganwadi, Indian Nursing Council, State Nursing Council, etc.
Scope in General Nursing and Midwifery 2021 Higher Studies
As the General Nursing and Midwifery is a Diploma Course Program, most of the candidates can apply for the Advanced Nursing Courses. There are a number of courses that are available that the candidates can pursue after the Diploma Program like as example- Auxilary Nursing Midwifery (ANM), B.Sc in Nursing, M.Sc in Nursing, P.G Certificate in Nursing and Doctorate (Ph.D.), etc.
Job Options after pursuing these course of studies are as follows-
- Health Care Nurse
- Teacher in Nursing School
- Nursing Tutor
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Legal Nurse Consultant
- Senior- Nurse Educator
- Home Care Nurse
- Forensic Nursing
- Emergency Room Nurse
- ICU Nurse
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Staff Nurse
- Community Health Nurse
These are some of the best jobs that can be taken after pursuing Higher Studies. Moreover, salaries offered after GNM followed by PG Diploma or Masters Course can earn up to 4.9 to 5 Lakhs per annum. Specialists, Assistants, Professors in this field can get packages ranging from 5.5. Lakhs to 9.5 Lakhs. Therefore, you have a good opportunity even after Higher Studies as well.
Job Description of Some of the Top GNM Nursing Jobs
|The position of the Job||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Clinical Nurse Specialist||Provides Patient Care, works in doctor’s facilities, clinics, medical centers, and other healthcare centers. They are specialists in particular fields such as- Gerontology, Cardiovascular Health, or Public Policy||4,50,553|
|Legal Nurse Consultant||These are the registered nurse attendants who offer medical data to the legal entities and experts related to the medical cases. They may constitute recognizing causes of care, surveying medical records, or preparing of records, and details about the sickness.||5,30, 989|
|Professors||The Professors will teach the students on various fields of the subjects which they excel for. The professors must excel in a particular field. They will help the students in their research work, scholar articles, instruct the discipline||9,13, 657|
|Forensic Nurse||Forensic Nurses perform duties that are more specific than the nurses mainly perform. They especially work with a crime-based scenario such as child/sexual abuse, victim/assault etc. They also gather and secure evidence||4,94, 720|
|Traveling Nurse||A traveling nurse is a Healthcare Professional who helps constantly sick or homebound patients or helps the medical offices with staffing deficiencies. Some Travel Nurses move between Homes, Hospitals, and Schools||2,37,186|
Highlights of GNM 2021 Diploma Nursing
|Name of the Course||GNM|
|Full-Form||General Nursing and Midwifery|
|Conducting Body||Indian Nursing Council|
|Level of the Course||Diploma|
|Time Duration of the Course||3 to 4 years including Internship|
|Examination Type||Semester-Wise/ Year Wise|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with a minimum percentage of 50% with Science Subject (compulsory)|
|Admission Procedure||On the basis of the Entrance Exam|
|Best Nursing Entrance Exams||AIIMS Nursing Entrance Exam, JIPMER Nursing Entrance Exam, BHU Entrance Exam, KIIMS University Exam, MCD Admission Entrance Exam|
|Course Fee Structure||Rs 10, 000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||3 to 20 Lakhs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Indian Red Cross Society, Indian Nursing Council, State Nursing Council, Kailash Hospital, Metro Hospital, AIIMS, Fortis, Orphanages, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Fields||TV and News, Teaching and Education, Travel and Tourism, Hospitality Jobs, etc.|
|Job Positions||Clinical Nurse Specialist, Forensic Nursing, In-Charge, and Helper, Receptionist, Brand Operator, Emergency Room Nurse, Traveling Nurse, etc.|
To summarize, The General Nursing and Midwifery Course have a good career scope both in the fields of education as well as in Job Perspective. The Nursing Program has a course duration of 3 years and 6 months of a compulsory internship. To study GNM Nursing, candidates have to appear for an Entrance Exam fulfilling the eligibility conditions. Not only this, but you can also go for Higher Studies as well. The course fee structure ranges from Rs 10, 000 to 3 Lacs. The average starting salary package of a Diploma Nursing Student starts from 3 to 20 Lacs per annum which completely depends on your educational and career experience. If you have any queries regarding the Diploma Nursing Entrance Exams, then you can send your queries in the comment section below.