NTA stands for National Testing Agency. NTA was approved by the Union cabinet in November 2017. The government has appointed Vineet Joshi, who is also the former chairman of CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) as the First Director-General of NTA. Vineet Joshi will serve for a tenure of five years. National Testing Agency is set up as an Autonomous and self-sustained organization that will conduct national-level tests on a voluntary basis for the conduct of independent tests. The National Testing Agency is registered as a society under the Indian Societies Registration Act, 1860.
Subscribe For Latest Updates
About National Testing Agency (NTA)
- Composition – National Testing Agency Comprises of eminent educationalists appointed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development. Besides the DG, it composes of the Board of Governors with members from user institutions.
- Function – it will conduct national level entrance tests entrusted to it by nay ministry or Department. It will also relieve major exam conducting bodies like CBSE and AICTE of conducting independent entrance tests.
- Operations – National Testing Agency has been entrusted with the responsibility of taking over various examinations previously conducted by the CBSE. This operation will first start with the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) and National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) 2019.
The National Testing Agency will begin by conducting all the national level examination conducted by CBSE. It has taken up other examinations since its inception. Its worth noting that the examination will take place not once but twice in a year in the online mode. The National Testing Agency will also locate its centres at district and sub-districts in order to serve the requirements of rural candidates and will also take hands-on training for students.
Candidates can check the National Testing Agency official website.
NTA JEE Main 2020
Since 2019, NTA is responsible to conduct JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) Mains. This year, JEE mains is going to take place in 2 sessions (January & April). The January Session application form is over. And, the JEE Main January Exam is from 6th to 9th January 2020. Candidates must note that they can appear for JEE Mains twice a year, which means they can appear for the JEE Main January exam as well as the JEE main April exam. And, the result will be counted on the basis of best of the two attempts. So, it is up to the candidate to appear once or twice.
After the JEE Main January Exam 2020, NTA will release the official JEE Main Answer Key. The Answer Key will most probably release in the 2nd or 3rd week of January 2020. It will contain all the correct answers to the questions asked in the JEE main exam. So, candidates can cross-check and hence calculate their estimated scores. NTA will release the JEE Main Cut off for the candidates to check if they have qualified or not. Further, after the cutoff list releases, the candidates can further enroll for JEE Main Counselling Registration.
National Testing Scheme
National Testing Agency will operate on the National Testing scheme which will provide the below-mentioned advantages:
- It will provide the candidate with the opportunity to improve himself/herself.
- Provide flexibility to various institutions in structuring the Admission process.
- Account for the difference in the socio-economic background of students in an objective and discernible manner.
- The national testing scheme will make sure that the structuring is transparent, fair, reasonable and reliable.
The Union Government has given the National Testing Agency a one-time grant of Rs. 25 crores to begin the operation in the first year. After this, NTA has to financially become self-sustainable and will be subject to the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) audit. National Testing Agency will benefit at least 4 million students who are going to take the national level entrance examination. It will eventually relieve exam conducting bodies of the burden of conducting the entrance examinations. It will bring in high reliability, the standardized difficulty level for assessing intelligence, aptitude and problem-solving abilities of students.
National Testing Agency has been established to develop and promote standards in educational and professional testing and assessment. CBSE has prepared a model for NTA which suggests the objectives, structures, and functions of the agency.