The Tamil Nadu Nursing Council is the earliest Nursing Council in the whole of South-East Asia. The Nursing training and practice were passed by the Legislature on 7th May 1926. And the Governor-General put his signature on the 9th June 1926. And this Act of 1926 came into force on the 14th day of February 1928. The Tamil Nadu Nursing Council is also known as the Madras Nurses and Midwives Act 1926. However, the council got amendments as per the Nurses and Midwives Act VII of 1934 and Act XXVI(26) of 1960, till today we follow the same. In this article, we have given an overview of the state nursing council and its functions. The candidates who wish to pursue their career in the field of nursing can further read this article for details about the state nursing council.
Subscribe For Latest Updates
TN Nursing Council: Details
The Tamil Nadu Nursing Council is an autonomous statutory registration body for registering qualified Nurses, Midwives, Auxiliary-Nurse-Midwives/ Multipurpose Health Workers / Health Visitors as per the provisions of the Act. Also, it extends its registration to Union Territories, for instance, Pondicherry and Andaman & Nicobar Islands. However, the state nursing council of Tamil Nadu ultimately functions under the regulations of the Indian Nursing Council, which is the main governing body in the country. The council is responsible for the registration of nurses under the Tamil Nadu state. It also offers various nursing and paramedical courses for students who want to build their careers in nursing.
Functions of the Council
The state nursing council of Tamil Nadu is responsible for various functions related to both academics as well as the non-academic arena. However, here we have given a consolidated list of a few major functions of the Tamil Nadu Nurses and Midwives Council
- This Council is an Autonomous Statutory Registration Body for registering qualified Nurses.
- Also, it registers various Midwives, Auxiliary-Nurse-Midwives/ Multipurpose Health workers/ Health visitors.
- Apart from the registration of nurses, the council also functions for the Recognition of various Nursing Institutions as per the Act.
- The council lays a few criteria for setting up a nursing institute in the state. Without fulfilling those criteria, there is no permission to establish a nursing/paramedical college in the state.
- Also, the council acts for the Registration of qualified Nursing Professionals mentioned above and the maintenance of the State Register for the same purpose.
- Monitoring of professional ethics. In other words, the council is responsible to keep an eye on ethical medical practice in the state. It cannot tolerate any defaulters or malpractices in the nursing practice. The defaulters could lose their registration in such cases.
- The council is also responsible for the development of interlinkages and reciprocities with corresponding Councils in the other States of India.
- Above all, the council acts for the regulation and surveillance of professional conduct. It also takes action against the quacks and checks malpractice.
These are a few basic, but important functions of the state nursing council. Now, let us look at the courses which the TN Nursing Council offers to the candidates. Visit the official website-click here
Courses Under TN Nursing Council
There are various nursing and paramedical training courses that the TN state council offers to candidates. Here is a list of a few courses and the eligibility for taking admission into those courses. Candidates can choose a suitable course in which they want to train themselves. The process of applying for these courses is given in our other article Tamil Nadu GNM Application Form
|S.No.||Nursing Programs||Eligibility Criteria||Training Duration|
|1||Auxiliary Nurse & Midwife||10+2 Class pass||2 years|
|2||General Nursing & Midwifery||10+2 Class pass with 40% marks||3 years|
|3||B. Sc (Basic)||10+2 Class pass with 45% aggregate in PCBE||4 years|
|4||B.Sc (Post Basic)||10+2 + GNM||2 years|
|5||M. Sc.||The minimum education requirements shall be the passing of B.Sc. Nursing/B.Sc. Hons. Nursing/Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing with minimum of 55% aggregate marks.||2 years|
|6||M. Phil||M. Sc.||1 year (Full time) 2 years (part-time)|
|7||Ph D||M. Sc./ M. Phil||3-5 years|
|8||Post Basic Specialty Diploma Courses||R.N & R.M||One Year|
The candidates who wish to study any Nursing Courses can look for the application forms available at the Selection Committee, Office of the Directorate of Medical Education, Kilpauk, Chennai or can visit their website www.tnhealth.org.
Instructions for Registration in the TN Nursing Council
- For Registration under the Tamil Nadu Nursing Council, a candidate has to submit Colour Photo (Passport Size) and the Candidate’s Name written behind the photo. He/She has to fix one photo in the Application form and Do Not Staple.
- Also, a CD to be submitted with Scanned Photo and in the filename as Candidate’s Name (Photo file size 20 to 40 kb in . JPG format only)
- The Candidates who have got their training from other states should surrender their Concerned State Nursing Council´s Registered Nurse & Midwife Certificates to the parent Council wherever they have Registered.
- Two Xerox copies of the parent Council’s RN and RM Certificates should be enclosed.
- Other State Candidates after surrendering their parent Council’s RN, RM certificates they should obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the parent Council to Register in TNNMC.
- For Despatching the Registration Certificate, a Self-addressed Envelope along with a Necessary Stamp has to be sent.
- Registration time: 10.00 AM TO 1.00 PM from Monday to Friday (On all Government working Days)
Requirements for Registration in GNM
- Duly filled Application form (Applicants can download the application form from Council Website www.tamilnadunursingcouncil.com)
- Photocopy of 12th Mark Sheet or its Equivalent.
- Photocopy of Transfer of Certificate
- GNM Provisional / Original Certificate
- Course Completion Certificate – Original and one photocopy.
- Final year Marksheet – Original and one photocopy
- Demand Draft of Rs. 2000/- Drawn in the Favour of “The Registrar, Tamil Nadu Nurses, and Midwives Council, Chennai” payable at Chennai Branch.
- Also, a CD with Scanned Photo and in the file name as Candidate’s Name (Photo file size 20 to 40 KB IN jpg format only).
List of Courses
The Tamil Nadu Nurses Council registers various courses that a candidate can pursue. From a list of registrable courses, a candidate can choose one course and fill the application form for that respective course. The state nursing council registers those candidates who have successfully graduated in any particular nursing course. Here is the list of registrable courses under the TN Nursing Council
|Name of the Courses||Entry Level as per INC||Duration of the Course|
|Diploma in Auxiliary Nurse Midwife / Multipurpose Health Worker||12th Pass||2 Years|
|Health Visitor / Multipurpose Health Supervisor(F)||ANM / MPHW – Pass||6 Months|
|Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery||10+2 Pass – 40% (Science & Any Group) SC/ST -5% relaxation||3 Years|
|Basic B.Sc., Nursing||10+2 Passed – Aggregate 45% Marks(Science Group – PCB&E ) SC/ST – 5% Relaxation||4 Years|
|Post Basic B.Sc., Nursing||GNM with RN RM of State Council where the Student intends to Undergo Higher Education||2 Years|
1) Medical-Surgical Nursing
|B.Sc.(N)/B.Sc., Hons.,. Nursing (RN& RM) / Post Basic B.Sc.,(N) (Additional Qualification) of State Council where the Student intends to Undergo Higher Education with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks.|
1) Minimum one year of work experience after Registration of Basic B.Sc.(N) with the Council.
2) Minimum one year of work Experience Prior or after Post Basic, B.Sc., Nursing after Registration with the Council.
Post Basic Diploma in Nursing Specialities
1) Cardio-Thoracic Nursing
|GNM / B.Sc.,(N) / Post Basic B.Sc.,(N)|
With RN& RM & Additional Qualification Registration of State Council shall apply for these Courses.
|Nurse Practitioner in Critical Care (NPCC)||B.Sc.nurse with a minimum of one-year clinical experience, preferably in any critical care setting prior to enrollment.||2 years|
TN Nursing Council Recognized Institutes
The council recognizes a few institutes/ colleges in Tamil Nadu for offering various nursing and paramedical courses. Candidates can check the List of TNMC Recognized Nursing Institutes pdf. The registration gets renewed every year based on the parameters of the Nursing Council of Tamil Nadu. Candidates can check the application process and fee details of respective colleges by clicking on the link and downloading the pdf file.
Total Intake in Nursing Course in Tamil Nadu
The Tamil Nadu Nursing Council also regulates the nursing and paramedical courses in two other states i.e. Puducherry and Andaman. In this section, we are going to discuss the total number of intakes in various nursing courses under Tamil Nadu Nursing Council. The list below gives the total number of institutions and intake of students for various nursing courses.
|Course||Number of Institutions||Intake of Students|
|Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing||3||64||115||2190|
Universities Recognized by INC in Tamil Nadu
Indian Nursing Council recognizes various universities in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, and Andaman for nursing courses. The Tamil Nadu Nurses Council approves these universities to offer various nursing diploma courses in the state. Here is the list of the INC-recognized universities in Tamil Nadu.
|S.No.||State||Name of the University||Program Offered||No. of Programmes|
|1||Tamil Nadu||Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University (Madras University, Bharathiyar & Bharathidasan University)||B.Sc.,(N)|
|2||Tamil Nadu||Annamalai University (Autonomous)||B.Sc.,(N)|
|3||Tamil Nadu||Sri Ramachandra University||P.B.B.Sc.(N)|
|4||Tamil Nadu||Meenakshi University||B.Sc.,(N)|
|5||Tamil Nadu||Vinayaka Mission’ s University||B.Sc.,(N)|
|6||Tamil Nadu||Dr. M.G.R. Medical and Research Institute University||B.Sc.,(N)|
|7||Tamil Nadu||Saveetha University||P.B.B.Sc,(N)|
|8||Tamil Nadu||SRM University||P.B.B.Sc,(N)|
|9||Tamil Nadu||Chettinad University||Post Basic Diploma in Nursing Specialities||007|
|10||Tamil Nadu||Bharath University||B.Sc.,(N)||1|
|Post Basic Diploma in Nursing Specialities||007|
|11||Puducherry||Pondichery University||PB B.Sc.,(N)|
|13||Puducherry||JIPMER (An Institution of National Importance under Ministry of H&FW, Government of India)||B.Sc.,(N)||001|