NEET Eligibility Criteria 2021: The eligibility criteria specify the conditions which each candidate has to satisfy for being eligible to appear for the NEET Exam. National Testing Agency prescribes the eligibility criteria. Candidates are advised to check the eligibility criteria before filling the application form. The details of the eligibility criteria will be available in the official notification. Moreover, the NEET eligibility criteria are supposed to be based on the Graduate Medical Education, 1997. It was further last amended in 2018. Some changes were introduced in the eligibility criteria last year. Thus, for complete details about the changes in NEET eligibility criteria and the entrance exam, read further.
Subscribe For Latest Updates
NEET Eligibility Criteria 2021
Earlier there were restrictions on the type of school, subjects and age limit. But, last year all these were removed. Therefore, students who have studied from open school and had biology as an additional subject are also eligible. In addition, through NEET exam 2021, admission is granted to MBBS, Ayush, BDS, and other medical courses. Further, the parameters taken into account are age, nationality, qualifying exam, and qualifying marks.
NTA NEET 2021 Eligibility Conditions
It is necessary that each applicant satisfies the eligibility conditions. The students should also have the relevant documents to prove that they satisfy the NTA NEET eligibility criteria. Through the NEET exam, admission is granted to both private and government MBBS and BDS colleges. The factors that come under the NEET UG eligibility are further as follows:
- The applicant should have passed the 10+2 or equivalent exam with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology, and English.
- In addition, the Candidate should have passed the exam from a recognized board.
- Candidates who have appeared for other such equivalent exam are also eligible to appear for the entrance exam.
- The applicant must have completed 17 years as of 31st December 2021.
- Moreover, there is no upper age limit
- The aggregate marks are taken into consideration of PCB (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) subjects.
- For UR- 50%, OBC/ SC/ ST- 40%, and for PwD- 45%
- Indian Nationals, NRIs, OCIs, PIOs, and Foreign Nationals are all eligible for the entrance exam.
- There is no limit on the no. of attempts. Hence, students can appear for the exam multiple times.
NEET UG 2021 – Qualifying Examination Codes
While filling the application form, candidates have to select a code for the qualifying examination from the list given below. Note that it is important to select the right code. Further, the NEET 2021 qualifying codes are as follows:
|The applicants who will be appearing for the class 12th board exam in 2021 and awaiting their result should select this code. However, the students must have passed the exam at the time of admission. The candidates who will fail the qualifying exam will be ineligible for admission.|
|The students who have passed class 12th are eligible for this code. The candidate should have further passed the class with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology, Mathematics, and English as core subjects. Moreover, students who have passed class 12 in the year 2020 or before. Further, candidates who have not appeared for any other course are all eligible for this code.|
|Candidates who have completed the Intermediate/Pre-Degree Examination in Science and of Indian University/Board with Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Biotechnology and English as the compulsory subject. The course should include practical tests in science subjects. Candidates whose qualifying examination is equivalent to Class 12th completed from the State Board.|
|Candidates who have completed a Pre-Professional/Pre-Medical Examination after passing either Pre-University or the higher secondary examination with PCB and English are eligible to use this code. In addition, the examination should include practical tests with the mentioned subjects and English as a compulsory subject.|
|The candidates who are pursuing a 3 years degree course from a recognized university with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, and have passed the first year should use this code. It should be a university exam and the applicant must have passed class 12th with subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Bio-Technology, and English at a level not less than a core course.|
|Candidates who have qualified BSc Examination with not less than two of the subjects – Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany & Zoology) from an Indian university should use this code while filling the application form. Further, the applicant must have passed class 12th with subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Bio-Technology, and English at a level not less than a core course as well.|
|Candidates who have passed other examinations equivalent to the Intermediate Science Examination of an Indian university/ board are eligible to use this course. Wherein, the student should have passed the exam with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/ Biotechnology subjects including practical tests of all subjects and English. In addition, candidates who have completed the qualifying exam from a foreign university are also supposed to use this code. However, the equivalency of the class 12th course is determined by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Furthermore, if the marks in the qualifying exam are awarded in grades then the AIU will determine the equivalent marks.|
NEET Minimum Required Percentage
The qualifying percentage for each category is different. Thus, students should check the qualifying marks as per the category to which they belong. In addition, candidates can check the category-wise minimum percentage in the table given below. Only the students who score the minimum qualifying marks can participate in admission rounds.
|Category||PCB Aggregate Marks|
|SC/ ST/ OBC/ Reserved-PH||40%|
NTA NEET Eligibility Criteria for NRI/ Foreign Students
- Candidates belonging to this category should have passed class 12 or equivalent examination.
- In addition, the students should have passed with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English. Further, one should have passed the theory and practical exam in each of these subjects.
- The candidates should also have the relevant documents and must satisfy the other eligibility conditions.
NEET Eligibility Criteria for 15% All India Quota Seats/ Deemed Universities/ Central Universities
- All the students who clear the NEET 2021 examination shall be eligible for 15% of All India Quota Seats.
- The students belonging to the state of J & K are not eligible for 15% of All India Quota Seats except for those candidates who have filled a self-declaration form. However, it must be noted that the candidates who are submitting the self-declaration form cannot participate in the Home State Seats. These candidates are eligible for Deemed Universities/ Central Universities/ ESIC and AFMC Colleges.
- The 80% of the DU Seats and Institutional Quota Seats of AMU are available for the candidates who have completed their Class 10th and 12th from Delhi/ AMU University respectively.
Eligibility Criteria for 85% State Quota Seats
Candidates need to satisfy the below-mentioned conditions for being eligible for 85% State Quota Seats. Thus, the eligibility conditions are as follows:
- Candidates satisfying the conditions are eligible for admission to all government colleges of the state/ union territories. In addition, respective state authorities conduct counselling for state quota seats. Candidates must satisfy domicile, and other conditions laid by state authority.
- Further, the admission process for private medical institutes takes place as per the state/ union territories policy.
NEET 2021 Reservation Criteria
The seat allotment process is carried out as per the reservation policy. Candidates can get the details about the reservation and admission criteria to government medical colleges under the 15% All India Quota Policy below. Further, the authorities reserve,
- 15% of seats for SC Category Candidates
- 7.5% seats for the ST Category Candidates
- 27% of seats in Central Educational Institutions for the OBC Category students as per the Central Educational Institutions.