National Overseas Scholarship: The Overseas Research Students Awards Scholarship is an International Postgraduate award for the selected foreign country Nationals to undertake research at higher education Institutions. This award is given to selected students and is one of the prestigious awards offered to International students. The scheme is funded through the four U.K Higher Education Funding bodies. ( England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland). The Scholarships covers fee expenses including maintenance, travel expenses, contingency allowance etc.
- 1 National Overseas Scholarship
- 2 Eligibility Conditions for National Overseas Scholarship
- 3 National Overseas Scholarship Selection Procedure
- 4 National Overseas Scholarship Duration
- 5 Financial Assistance under National Overseas Scholarship
- 6 National Overseas Scholarship Application Process and Documents Needed:
- 7 Important updates regarding National Overseas Scholarship
National Overseas Scholarship
For various courses specifies the field of study at Masters and Ph.D.
Specified Fields of Study
Engineering and Management – 32 Seats
Pure Sciences and Applied Sciences – 17 Seats
Agricultural Sciences and Medicine – 17 Seats
International Commerce,Accounting Finance – 17 Seats
Humanities, Social Sciences & Fine Arts -17 Seats
Total number of Seats – 100
30% of the awards shall be embarked for Women Candidates.
Eligibility Conditions for National Overseas Scholarship
The candidates should first check the eligibility conditions of the scholarship scheme and then apply for the Scholarship. Following points are the category wise eligibility criteria of the candidates.
- Candidates should get 55% or equivalent marks in the last qualifying Examination ie Masters to pursue PhD. The Candidates with more experiences is preferred more especially to those who are on lien with their existing post and employer.
- Candidates should get 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Bachelors Degree. Preference would be given to the experienced candidates, especially to those who are on lien with their existing post and employer.
Age Specification: The candidate should be below than 35 years old.
Family Income: The total family income should be less than 6,00000 per Annum.
The maximum number of benefited children in the family: In a family, only two candidates will be awarded the scholarship scheme. The candidate has to give a self-certification. An awardee cannot be considered for the award on a subsequent occasion as the award can be given only once. The second child of the family will only be accepted for the subsequent year only if there are lots available.
National Overseas Scholarship Selection Procedure
- Candidates who get the unconditional Offer letter from one of the Universities or Institutions Abroad accredited by one of the Authorized body of that country will be considered for the Award. The Award is on First come-first serve basis only when there is an availability of seat and the candidates fulfill the conditions of the scheme. Candidates who have already left the country and pursuing education abroad will be not be considered eligible because they left the country prior to the Advertisement.
- Candidates who get the unconditional Offer letter from one of the Universities or Institutions Abroad accredited by one of the Authorized body of that country may also be awarded assurance of scholarship, facilitate with the Admission in the University. In case they are finally successful in securing such admission, they may be considered for the award, subject to other conditions of the Scheme and availability of the slots. The award or the assurance will be valid only for a year.
- In case there is a tie between two candidates, the candidate with more experience i.e the one who is elder in age as per the date of birth in the secondary certificate will be chosen.
- The candidates who are employed should provide a certificate from the employer(No Objection Certificate) to the Ministry before the last date of Application ends.
National Overseas Scholarship Duration
The Financial Aid is given to the candidates up to the completion of the course.
For the Masters pursuing students: Three Years
For the Ph.D. Pursuing students: Four Years.
If in Case the stay extends for the level of courses abroad may be considered but without financial Assistance except for the air passage return to India. But if there is a recommendation of the competent concerned authority for the such an overstay of the specified period, the final decision will be in this regard will be with the Government of India.
Financial Assistance under National Overseas Scholarship
- For the United States of America and other Countries except for the United Kingdom, the annual maintenance allowance is 14500 US Dollars.
- For the United Kingdom, the Annual maintenance is 9900in Great Britain Pounds.
- The awardees are permitted to supplement their prescribed allowances by undertaking Research/Teaching Assistantship.
- The prescribed contingency allowance for books/essential apparatus/ study tour/ travel cost for attending conferences, workshops/ binding, and typing thesis is 1500 US Dollars for the United States of America and other Countries
- The prescribed contingency allowance for books/essential apparatus/ study tour/ travel cost for attending conferences, workshops/ binding and typing thesis i.e 1100 Great Britain Pounds in the United Kingdom.
- Scholarship Amount can be used for the Tuition and fees, Living Expenses, Airfare and travel expenses, Healthcare and others and not in accommodation, spouse/child care or other applications.
National Overseas Scholarship Application Process and Documents Needed:
Application Process: Applications should be sent to the Address in the Ministry below in the prescribed application form which will form a part of the advertisement published by the D/o SJ&E in Employment News /Rozgar Samachar.
Shri Deepak Mehra Director (SCD-V),
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,
Department of Social Justice and Empowerment
Room No.636 – ‘A’ Wing,
Dr. Rajendra Prasad Marg,
New Delhi-110 001
1. Candidates have to apply for the scholarship with the following self-attested documents.
2. Matriculation Certificate or other certificates that proofs the date of Birth.
3. All degrees /Diplomas/certificates with Mark sheets
4. Income Certificate in the prescribed format
5. An Offer letter if obtained.
6. Self Attested Caste certificate issued by a competent Authority.
7. In case of Passage Grant additional information with a statement indicating details of the merit scholarship and the manner, it is obtained. Self Attested copy of the award letter.
8. Candidates working should provide a No Objection Certificate from the Employer
The Indian Missions abroad will obtain six monthly progress reports from the university/ institution where the awardee is pursuing his/her studies for which the award was given under the Scheme.
Important updates regarding National Overseas Scholarship
The candidates are will not be able to change their course of study for which the scholarship is awarded.
The Indian Mission will obtain six months progress reports from the institution or the university from which the candidate is pursuing their studies from and for which the award is given
The candidates need to put efforts in seeking Admission in an accredited institution in programmes specified in schemes including the visa.
There will be no financial benefits or other support coverage given under the scholarship scheme for their spouse or children.
Permission of extending their stay in abroad after completion of the course is only be granted if the candidate is able to consider id find of the candidate is joining a job abroad, or joins other curses or is married to a person settled abroad