JEE Main 2021 Percentile Vs Rank: NTA will release the JEE Main result as per the session. The final JEE Main answer key for session 2021-22 will be declared after the Joint Entrance Examination. The results for all candidates will be published in the form of percentile score and the scorecard which shall have only the percentile score of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics along with the total percentile score.
Check Eligibility For NTA JEE Main Exam
The raw marks of candidates will not be displayed on the scorecard or anywhere else. Please make sure to keep your JEE Main 2021 Admit card safely as it will be used even after the result declaration. In order to remove any kind of discrepancy in the calculation of marks for the different shifts of a single day, the raw marks of each candidate were converted to percentile scores. Look into the articles and links to keep yourself updated
|JEE Main 2021 Results||JEE Main 2021 Official Answer Sheet|
Now the question that almost all students are asking is related to the JEE Main 2021 percentile vs marks – how can one check the rank using the percentile score? The answers have been provided below.
What Is JEE Main Marks Vs Rank 2021?
Before we move ahead, let’s check what these two terms Percentile and rank mean regarding JEE Main 2021. Percentile scores are scores based on the relative performance of all those who appear for the examination. Basically, the marks obtained are transformed into a scale ranging from 100 to 0 for each session of candidates.
Check the formula to calculate the JEE Main 2021 Percentile:
Ranks are the performance scores of the candidates that are allotted based on the candidate’s score in the examination. So, the higher the JEE Main 2021 rank, the better institute, and preference will a candidate get.
How To Calculate Expected Rank From JEE Main Percentile?
Well, you can check the expected rank using a formula given below. Here 874469 is the total number of candidates (in Jan session) and a percentile is the total percentile score of the candidate.
So for example, if a candidate has obtained 70 percentile, he/she can simply put 70 in the below-given formula which will result in an expected rank of 2,62,342. Here is the JEE Main percentile calculator 2021.
JEE Main 2021 Percentile And Rank Calculation
Based on this formula, we have written down the expected JEE Main rank 2021 based on a few jee main 2021 percentile scores. Please note that this is not the final rank and a safe assumption.
You too can use this method to know what your expected rank will be in the JEE Main 2021 January session.
|Percentile Scores (NTA Score)||Expected Rank|
JEE Main Percentile Vs Rank, And Normalization Procedure
The National Testing Agency (NTA) will be releasing the JEE Main 2021 result for session 2 (April) in the form of a normalized score. This will help in resolving issues of discrepancy in the difficulty level of each session. To understand how the normalization procedure takes place, read further.
For Example, there two students, candidate A, and candidate B.
- Candidate A has taken JEE Main 2021 in shift 1 one and scored a raw mark of 340 out of 360. He is the highest scorer among all the shift 1 candidates where 56789 candidates appeared.
- Candidate B has taken JEE Main 2021 in shift 2 and scored 310 out of 260. She is the highest scorer among all the shift 2 candidates where 54689 candidates appeared.
Now, considering only the raw scores of these two candidates to prepare the merit list, candidate A will be the topper with a higher rank. However, if shift 2 was more difficult than shift 1 then this will be unfair for candidate B who had to take a more difficult paper and scored less.
This is where NTA Normalization Procedure comes in. Let us see how the ranks change with the normalization procedure.
Shift 1: Total candidates who appeared = 56789
Candidates who scored equal to or less than the topper of shift 1 = 56789
Percentile Obtained = 100 (56789/56789)
Percentile Obtained = 100
Shift 2: Total candidates who appeared = 54689
Candidates who scored equal to or less than the topper of shift 2 = 54689
Percentile Obtained = 100 (54689/54689)
Percentile Obtained = 100
This shows us that although both candidates had a different score, based on their difference of difficulty level, both got the same percentile which is 100.
Now let us take 4 more candidates C, D, E, and F.
- Candidate C & D have a raw total score of 330 and secured the 2nd position in shift 1.
- Candidate E has a raw total score of 304 and secured the 3rd position in shift 1.
- And candidate F has a raw total score of 304 and secured the 2nd position in shift 2.
If the raw score of candidates will be considered, the merit list will be something like this:
|Candidate A 280||1st Position|
|Candidate B 260||3rd Position|
|Candidate C 270||2nd Position|
|Candidate D 270||2nd Position|
|Candidate E250||4th Position|
|Candidate F 250||4th Position|
If we consider these ranks of the candidate, then it will be unfair for Candidate F to be on the 4th position as shift 2 was difficult than shift 1 and also his rank is equal to candidate E. This happens because of the difference in the difficulty level of the various shifts held.
NOTE: For the 2021 JEE Main Examination, the total number of marks is 300. The above-mentioned information is on the basis of previous years’ calculations. Earlier, the question paper was of maximum 360 marks.
If we change these scores to percentile scores, the following will be the result:
Based on this percentile score, the ranks awarded will be something like this:
|Candidate A 340||1st Position|
|Candidate B 310||1st Position|
|Candidate C 330||2nd Position|
|Candidate D 330||2nd Position|
|Candidate F 304||3rd Position|
|Candidate E 304||4th Position|
This is how the normalization procedure will take place and candidates will be awarded a rank after their score is normalized and changed into a percentile score.
How The JEE Main Rank Is Done Based On Normalization
The rank is prepared by the conducting body after both the session gets over i.e January and April session. Now the score is given in percentile and students find it difficult in calculating and approx rank they will get. So to make the rank for JEE Main candidates, NTA takes total, as well as the subject-wise Percentile scores, in the following order:
So Ranking Will Take Place In The Following Orders: (All In Percentile Score)
- Those who score a total higher percentile will be given preference.
- If there is a tie then, candidates having more percentile in Mathematics will be preferred.
- Tie still persists then candidates who secure more in Physics will be considered.
- Still, the tie is not gone, then higher percentile score in Chemistry will be taken into consideration
- Lastly when the tie is not resolved then the candidates older in age will be preferred.
Things To Note For JEE Main Percentile Vs Rank
- Those who have a higher percentile score will be awarded a higher rank and thus, will be given the highest priority.
- In case, there is a tie between two candidates, the tie-breaking policy will be used.
- If a candidate takes both January and April exam sessions, the best out of both the total percentiles will be taken into consideration. The subject-wise score will not be taken into consideration.
- Also, if the aspirant appears for JEE Main 2021 either in January or in April session, both Total and Subject-wise Percentile Scores will be taken into consideration.
- The percentile score obtained indicates the number of candidates who scored less than or equal to your raw score.
- The ranks allotted will be based on your percentile score.
If you have any queries regarding JEE Main Percentile Vs Rank, do ask us in the comments section below!
- JEE Main 2021 Exam Pattern
- Syllabus of JEE Main 2021
- JEE Main Previous Years Cut Off
- Tips to crack JEE Main 2021
- JEE Main Counselling
- Dress Code Of JEE Mains
- JEE Main Photo & Signature
- JEE Main Login
- Mock Test of JEE Main
- JEE Main Normalization Procedure
- Exam Dates of JEE Main 2021
- JEE Main Application Fee
- How To Have JEE Main Correction 2021
- JEE Mains Weightage 2021