The JEE Main 2019 is going to be conducted from 6th – 20th January 2019 for the first session. The exam will be organized by the NTA (National Testing Agency). HRD Minister, Prakash Javadekar had recently announced that the exam will be conducted in fully computer-based mode. There are a lot of candidates who are grappling with the fact that they will have to take the NTA JEE Main 2019 in the computer-based test (CBT) mode. For students who have never taken a CBT before need not worry as we will guide you with the step by step procedure to take the exam.
Candidates must carefully go through all the instructions given here and then have a look at the video provided below for better understanding of the CBT mode. If you follow the instructions carefully, you will also be well prepared to take the NTA JEE Main 2019 Practice test easily. Here are the steps to be followed after being seated at the allotted seat in JEE Main Exam center.
Parts of Computer that you need to know
- Computer Screen/Monitor – This is the computer that will be assigned to you. Candidates will be either given the computer with a page where the link to JEE Main 2019 test will be provided or the candidate will be instructed by the invigilator to open the link. The JEE Main 2019 questions will appear on this computer screen/monitor.
- Mouse – The candidate will be using the mouse which will be shown on the computer screen as a cursor. Moving the mouse on the mouse pad will move the cursor on the screen. To select an answer, you must click on the left button of the mouse with the index finger. The right button can be used for computer options if necessary.
All aspirants must check first if both the computer and the mouse are working properly. In case there is any problem, report it to the invigilator as no complaints regarding the same will be entertained during or after the exam has been conducted.
Instructions to take JEE Main 2019 in CBT Mode
- The first step is to log in to the assigned computer. The login screen will carry show information like the name of the candidate, his/her photograph and subject on the right-hand side, whereas, the candidate’s assigned computer number will appear. The user ID will be pre-filled. Now, type your password (your Date of birth in DDMMYYYY format) by left clicking on the keyboard icon and click on sign in
- Signing in will take you to the next page where instructions about JEE Main 2019 will be displayed in English. The language can be changed to Hindi by clicking on View in and choosing Hindi from the drop-down menu. After reading all the instructions, take the cursor on Next button and left click on it.
- This will take you to another page of instructions about the marking of answers and navigate through exam sections. Select the language in which you want your questions to appear from choose your language drop-down, select English or Hindi. You can also change the language of a particular question later in the question itself. Tick on the box in front of Accept terms and conditions and Now click on I am ready to begin.
- The next page will display question 1 for you.
- This page will reflect the number of sections, the question number, instructions related to that questions in the section and time left.
- The timer will start immediately and in case it stops in between, you will not lose out on any time for answering remaining questions.
- On the right side of the screen, you will be able to see your name and photograph along with a profile link from where you can change the language of the question.
- You can also view the full question paper or instructions by taking your cursor to the top right-hand corner and clicking on Instructions or Question paper.
- The section column will display all sections that are there in JEE Main 2019 exam.
- To navigate through the displayed screen, use the Up arrow or down arrow given on right side.
- On the right-hand side, there will be a panel which will display the status of each question. The status of each question tells if the question has been answered, not answered, marked for review, Marked for review with an answer or not visited yet.
- Candidates can view the status of all answers from the questions tab where the number of questions answered, not answered, marked for review, Marked for review with the answer or not visited will be provided. Clicking on it will display the same information from each section.
- Now, you have to select any one of the 4 options that will be provided below the question asked. Choose any one by taking the cursor to the circle present in front of each answer and either click on save and next (to mark an answer for evaluation and move to next question) or clear response or mark for review (in case you want to come back and review the answer).
- In case the candidate has not changed the answers marked for review, the answer marked before will be treated as final.
- After completing the exam, click on submit. If the examination time is over, the timer will stop and JEE Main 2019 answers will be auto-submitted. You will have to leave the assigned computer as it is and hand over the rough sheet to the invigilator.
Help Video for CBT
Those students who want to understand the working of a computer-based test and know how to take JEE Main 2019 in CBT mode, can check this video after reading all the above instructions carefully.
Please note that this video is an example of how to take the JEE Advanced in CBT mode. The only difference between both the exams is that JEE Main 2019 will have 4 answer options from which candidates have to choose 1. In this video instead of 4 options, the virtual keyboard is shown where the answer has to be entered manually.
The JEE Main 2019 Computer Based Test is very easy and can be taken even by those candidates who have never taken such an exam before. The JEE Main cannot be taken on personal computers of the candidate as each computer system assigned in the exam hall will have an already download software with the question paper. In order to avoid any kind of malfunctioning, discrepancy or cheating and to keep transparency, the NTA (National Testing Agency) has instructed each JEE Main 2019 aspirant to take the exam in the CBT mode in the exam hall.