The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is an online examination conducted every year for granting admission to candidates in UG and PG Law courses. It is a centralized test for admission to 19 National Law Universities in India, 43 other education institutes and two public sector institutes are also eligible to use these scores. In order of their establishment, CLAT is conducted by the 19 participating law schools in the rotation, in the order of their establishment. The exam of CLAT 2018 was conducted by The National Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi, Kerala, India.
Candidates interested in applying for the course will be required to fill up the Application Form available on the official website. It should be made sure by the candidate that the eligibility criteria prescribed are fulfilled by the candidate. For applying to UG Law course, the candidate should have passed 10+2 whereas for applying to PG Law course the candidate should possess LL.B or equivalent degree. National University of Advanced Legal Studies grants admission in BA LLB and BBA LLB through Common Law Admission Test.
The Application Forms tentatively will be available in December 2018 or January 2019 and the entrance exam will be held in the month of May 2019. It should be noted that the information provided by the candidate in the form is correct, the examination body reserves the right of cancelling the candidature in any of any incorrect information provided by the candidate. The details regarding the Application Form, Eligibility Criteria, exam pattern and syllabus and other details can be founded in the article below.
Important Dates Regarding CLAT 2019
The important dates for CLAT 2019 regarding the exam date, release of Application Form, last date for the recipt of Application Form can be found in the tabular format below:
|Events||Important Dates (Tentative)|
|Release of CLAT 2019 notification||December 2018|
|Release of the Application Form and order of preference for NULAS||January 2019|
|Last Date for the receipt of form and submit preference for NUALS||March 2019|
|Availability of Admit Card||April 2019|
|Date of the Online entrance exam||May 2019|
|Availability of the Answer keys||May 2019|
|Objection against answer key will be subjected from||May 2019|
|Amended answer key will be uploaded on||May 2019|
|Result/Merit list will be available on||May 2019|
CLAT 2019 Application Form
The CLAT 2019 Application Form will be available on the official website of the law entrance exam. The procedure will involve the Registration, Application Form, payment of the Application fee and uploading of scanned images of Signature and Photograph. Candidates are advised to go through the instructions in detail before proceeding for the Application Form and should make sure that they fulfill the eligibility criteria prescribed by the exam conducting body. The documents required while filling up the Application Form online are Educational Qualification Certificates, a soft copy of SAP certificate, Scanned copies of Photograph and Signature. Go through the steps in detail for filling the Application Form.
Step 1- Registration: Candidates will be required to register themselves if applying for the exam first time. The Link to the Registration will be provided on the official website. Candidates will need to Click on “Click here for New Registration”, provide details and should go through the instructions carefully before proceeding with the registration.
Step 2-Details to be filled in registration form: Candidates will be asked to provide personal details and contact information. After the successful registration, the Registration Number and Password will be mailed to the Email ID provided by the candidate while registration. These credentials should be kept very carefully for future references till the admission procedure gets over. Details asked by the candidates while Registration will be:
- First name
- Confirm First name
- Middle Name
- Confirm Middle name
- Last Name
- Confirm last name
- Full Name
- Mobile number
- Confirm Mobile Number
- Alternative Number
- Email ID
- Confirm Email ID
- Security Code
After the submission of the details, candidates will be sent their Registration Number and Password and will get a confirmation email. These details will be required for accessing the Application Form.
Step 3- Uploading Images: Candidates will need to upload the scanned images of photograph and signature in the Application Form after providing some basic details. It is advised that candidate should make sure that the documents to upload are already arranged in prior. The photograph and signature uploaded should be clear and visible. The signature should be done on the white sheet with the black pen. The specifications as prescribed are:
|Photograph||200X230 pixels||JPG/JPEG format||20KB- 50 KB|
|Signature||140X60 pixels||JPG/JPEG format||10KB-20 KB|
Step 4- Details in the Application Form: After uploading photograph and signature, the next step will be of filling up the details in the Application Form. This section will ask for the Personal Details, Educational qualifications, Nationality, Reservation Criteria, Payment of the Application Fee etc. The following details required in the Application Form will be:
- Programme Applied for
- All India category applied for
- State of Domicile
- State of Residence
- State of Nativity
- Person with Disability
- Percentage of Disability
University Reservation Categories
This section will have the name of NLUs and the candidates will have to define their categories.
Exam City Preference
- Examination City Preference 1
- Examination City Preference 2
- Examination City Preference 3
- Date of Birth
- Father’s name
- Mother’s name
- Address for correspondance
- Address 2
- Address 3
- Permanent Address
Step 5- Payment of the Application Fee: The last step will be of the payment of the Application Fee. The amount of the Application fee can be paid through Online mode or offline mode of e-challan. The candidate needs to pay the following anount of the Application Fee. However, it should be noted that once paid, application fee will not be refunded.
|SC/ST category||Rs. 3500/-|
Step 6- Submit the form and take a print out of it- After the successful payment, the application form should be submitted by the candidate online. Candidates should take a print out of the submitted Application Form for future reference.
CLAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria
The CLAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria is prescribed by the examination controlled body. Candidates are required to go through the eligibility criteria in detail before applying for the exam. The eligibility conditions are different for applying to UG law course and PG law course. In case, the conditions are not met, the authority reserves the right of cancelling the admission even if the candidate has qualified the exam. Check the eligibility criteria for respective courses from below.
CLAT UG Eligibility Criteria:
- The Applicants from General/OBC/Special Abled Person (SAP) or other categories should have secured 45% marks in 10+2.
- The candidates belonging to SC/ST categories should have secured atleast 40% marks in 10+2 exam.
- Candidates appearing for 10+2 exam will also be eligible to apply. But these candidates will be required to submit a proof of qualifying the exam with the result of the admission. Candidate can lose the admission, if fail to produce it.
CLAT PG Eligibility Criteria:
- The Applicant should have LL.B./Five years Integrated LL.B (Hons) or equivalent degree.
- Candidates belonging to General/OBC/Specially Abled Person (SAP) and other categories should have secured atleast 55% marks in the degree.
- The minimum qualifying marks for SC/ST candidates is 50% in the degree.
- Candidates in the final year of Degree course can also apply but there will be the requirement of submitting the qualifying examination result before the before the deadline prescribed by the examination authorities.
CLAT 2019 Examination Pattern
Candidates preparing for the entrance exam will be required to make themselves aware with the examination pattern, the number of marks each section will carry and in what way the exam pattern will be set for both UG and PG exam. It is advised that the aspirants go through the pattern in detail and start familiarizing themselves with how the questions will be framed.
Exam pattern for CLAT UG 2019
- CLAT will be a Computer Based Exam.
- The number of questions will be 200. The pattern of the examination paper will be of the objective type. Each question will carry the four options, candidate will be required to tick the correct one.
- The medium of the question paper will only be in English.
- Time duration will be of 2 hours.
- Each correct answer will be of 1 marks. There will be a negative marking, deducting 0.25 marks for each incorrect answer.
Weightage of marks in subject area for CLAT UG exam is:
|English including comprehension||40|
|General Knwledge and Current Affairs||50|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||20|
Exam pattern of CLAT PG 2019:
- The exam of CLAT 2019 for PG will be a Computer Based Exam.
- The number of questions will be 150 and the pattern of the examination paper will be of the objective type. Each question will carry fours options out of which candidate will be required to mark the correct one.
- The medium of the question paper will only be in English.
- Time duration of the entrance exam will be of 2 hours.
- Each correct answer will carry the score of 1 marks each. There will be a negative marking, deducting 0.25 marks for each incorrect answer.
Weightage of marks in subject area for CLAT PG exam is:
|Other law subjects such as Contracts, Torts, Criminal law, International law, IPR etc.||50|
CLAT 2019 Syllabus
The CLAT 2019 Syllabus for UG and PG law course entrance exam will be different. The UG question paper will be of 200 marks in total while the PG question paper will be of 150 marks. Candidates are advised to go through the syllabus mentioned in detail in order to prepare themselves for the questions for the entrance exam.
Syllabus of CLAT UG:
|English (with Comprehension)||Comprehension passages and grammar, Vocabulary, Fill in the blanks, Correcting sentences etc.|
|General Knowledge and Current affairs||Static General Knowledge, Current affairs|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||Number System, Percentage, Profit and Loss, Time and work, Height and Distance, Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry etc.|
|Legal Aptitude||Legal propositions|
|Logical reasoning||Syllogism, Logical Sequences, Analogies, Blood relation etc.|
Syllabus of CLAT PG:
The syllabus of CLAT PG will include the following subjects:
- Constitutional Law
- Law of contracts
- Law of Torts
- Criminal law
- International Law
- Family law
- Property law
- Intellactual property law
CLAT 2019 Admit Card
The CLAT 2019 Admit Card will be available on the official website i.e. clat.ac.in. Candidates will be required to enter email ID and password for downloading it. Admit card is a mandatory document which will be required on the day of the exam. It will be available on the website few weeks before the entrance exam. Candidates not carrying it will be prohibited from appearing for the exam. The Admit card of CLAT will be required even after the written exam hence candidates will be required to preserve it till the admission procedure gets over.
Steps to download Admit card:
- Visit the official website of CLAT-clat.ac.in
- Go to the Admit card link which will be available on the announced date. Click on downloading the Admit card link. It will lead to the Application Form login.
- Enter the Registered User ID/Email ID and Password.
- Admit card will appear on the screen. Cross-verify the details and download the admit card.
- Take atleast two to three printouts of the Admit card.
Contents mentioned on the Admit Card
- Application Number
- Date of Birth
- Mother’s Name
- Father’s Name
- Roll Number
- Address of the examination center.
- Signature of the candidate
- Exam schedule
- Reporting time
- Exam Date
- Address of examination center
- Programme applied for
- Guidelines for the exam
Note: Along with the Admit Card, candidates will be required to carry
- 2 recent passport sized photographs
- Atleast one photo ID (PAN card, Aadhaar card, Driving License etc.)
- Candidates are advised to carry two to three photocopies of Admit card in case you lose the one downloaded.
CLAT 2019 Answer key
The Answer Key of CLAT entrance exam will be released few days after the examination is conducted. Answer key will provide a clarification of possibility of clearing the entrance exam. It will help candidates who appeared for the exam in comparing their answers. The CLAT committee also provides the benefit of accepting objections by the students if any of the answer keys. After checking, the committee releases a revised answer key on its website.
Steps to download Answer Key for CLAT:
- Click on the link of answer key available on the official website.
- Enter Login credentials like Registration Number and Password.
- Go to CLAT answer key tab.
- Click the Download button.
- Save the copy of CLAT answer key in pdf format.
- Check the answers in answer key with the ones you marked in the examination.
How to calculate scores using CLAT Answer key
Candidates will be required to cross-check their answers that they ticked in the entrance exam with the ones in the answer key and calculate the possible score. In order to get the score, the candidate should add one marks for every correct answer and deduct 0.25 marks for each wrong answer and get the possible score. If the candidate left the question blank, no marks will be added or deducted in that case.
Importance of CLAT Answer Key
- The official Answer Keys will help in calculating the approximate score to be secured by the candidate in the exam.
- In case of any discrepancy, Committee facilitates objection by the candidate and release the revised answer key.
- The candidates can analyze their performance by calculating the number of correct answer.
CLAT 2019 Cut Off
The cut off of CLAT entrance exam is released by Law schools. The possible cut off of every law school is different. Cut off is the minimum of marks to be secured by the candidate to get admission in her/his choice of NLU. The minimum marks to be secured by the candidate in order to qualify the entrance exam depends on the number of candidates appearing for the exam, the difficulty level of the exam, the approx percentage expected to be scored by the candidate which is decided by the CLAT examination committee. Candidates can check the Cut Off of 2017 for getting an impression of how much approx the cut off can go.
|NUALS||2017 CLAT cut off||Closing Rank of CLAT|
|West Bengal National University of Judicial sciences||213||7556|
|National Law School of India University||59||1779|
|Hidayatullah National law University||574||29835|
|Ram Manohar Lohiya National law University||627||28216|
|Chanakya National Law University||909||16614|
|National law University Odisha||1023||15734|
|National law University and Judicial academy||1124||17322|
|Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University||1180||38156|
|Maharashtra National law University, Nagpur||1126||39573|
|National Academy of Legal Studies and Research||130||5098|
|National law University, Jodhpur||343||8051|
|Gujarat national law University||453||10585|
|National law Institute University||351||17348|
|Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law||801||12580|
|National University of Advanced Legal Studies||826||24087|
|National University of study and research in law||1051||28174|
|Tamil Nadu national law school||1151||25064|
|Maharashtra National law University, Mumbai||478||17294|
CLAT 2019 Result
The result of CLAT will be released online on the official website of CLAT. The rank list will be published category wise for UG and PG courses. Candidates will be required to provide login credentials in order to access the score card.
Steps to check CLAT result
- Visit the official website of CLAT.
- Look for ‘CLAT Result 2019’ link under the latest notification
- Login to the link by providing Registered ID and Password.
CLAT 2019 Merit List
Candidates scoring over the cut off point will have their name in the rank list. Individuals with higher marks will be preferred during the counselling procedure.
Resolving Tie Breaker: If there happens to be a tie between two or more aspirants, these methods will be implemented to resolve those tie.
- Those who obtain higher marks in the section of legal aptitude will be preferred.
- If the tie still persists, the candidate older in age will be preferred.
- If tie still persists, it will be resolve through Computerised Draw of Lots.
All India Rank: After resolving the tie, the name of the qualified candidates will be entered will be entered in order of rank. Each candidate will have a All India Rank and admission to top universities will demand higher rank.
CLAT 2019 Counselling
The candidates seeking admission to UG and PG law courses will have to go through Centralized Counselling procedure for the allotment of seats to various Law Universities. The allotment of seats will be done on the basis of ‘merit cum preference’ i.e. CLAT rank and order of preference given by the candidate in the Application Form of CLAT. The counselling schedule will be available on the official website of CLAT.
The step wise procedure for admission to law Universities is as follows:
- Publication of 1st indicative list on the basis of merit cum preference.
- Make payment of counselling fee. Candidates selected from various categories will be allowed to participate in the counselling process. The provisionally selected candidates must deposit the amount of Rs. 50,000/- as counselling fee which will be later transferred to the NLU where the candidate has taken admission after the completion of entire process.
- Publication of 2nd allotment list of the candidate who have paid her/his counselling and reserved the seat.
- Publication of 3rd allotment list of the candidates. The third allotment list may contain the names of the candidates who have paid the counselling fee against first and second indicative lists. The office will also release a list of waitlisted candidates along with the third allotment list who are provisionally selected against the dropped out candidates.
Lock, Upgrade and Withdrawl option:
Lock- This option will be provided in each of the counselling round. Exercising this lock option by the candidate will confirm the allotted university choice for that counselling round. Once Lock, it will prohibit the candidate from shifting their choice to any other NLU in the current counselling round.
Shifting/Upgradation- This option will be available from the second round of the counselling. It will be available only to those candidates who have participated in the previous counselling round. The candidates will be shifted or upgraded automatically to a higher NLU against any vacancy arising in NLU.
Withdrawl: If any candidate attending CLAT counselling fails to deposit the amount of the requisite counselling fee, she/he may lose the chance of admission in NLU of her/his choice. Withdrawl option will also be provided to the candidate before the final allotment of the seat.
Important Documents to be produced at the time of Counselling:
- CLAT Application Form
- CLAT Admit Card
- CLAT score card
- Class 10th marksheet
- Class 12th marksheet
- Caste certificate
- Specially abled certificate (If applicable)
- NRI certificate (If applicable)
- Domicile certificate (if applicable)