The Birla Institute of Technology and Science BITS, Pilani will be tentatively conducting its admission test called BITS Admission Test (BITSAT) in the third week of March 2018. BITS, Pilani is one of the premier institutes of India that has started conducting its own admission test from 2005 onwards for admission in its established campuses in Hyderabad, Goa and Pilani. It is an online test that examines the aptitude of students in maths, Physics, Chemistry, English and Logical reasoning.
Check Eligibility For BITSAT Exam
This year application process for BITSAT 2018 has started from the 19th December 2017 and will close on the 13th March 2018. BITSAT 2018 exam for various courses is anticipated to be conducted from the third week of May and will continue until the last week of May 2018. BITSAT 2018 Results will be declared in the fourth week of May 2018.
|Lovely Professional University 2019 Admissions Open||Apply Now!!|
Candidates who have passed their class 12 in 2017 with Physics, Chemistry, and Maths as compulsory subjects and have secured 75 % in the best of three subjects ( 60% in each subject) are eligible to apply for BITSAT 2018.
Every year nearly 2 lakh students apply for BITSAT exam. In a news in 2012, it was reported that BITSAT has become even more competitive than IIT- JEE in terms of the ratio of the number of applicants to the number of seats available. This article will cover BITSAT exam pattern, syllabus to be covered and how to prepare for the exam.
Exam Pattern of BITSAT 2018 Exam – Marking Scheme
In BISAT 2018 students will be asked questions in a multiple-choice pattern. The question paper will be divided into 5 sections- Physics, Chemistry, logical reasoning, English, maths/ biology. The question paper will be of 150 total marks which students must complete in 3 hours. Students will be awarded 3 marks for each correct answer and 1 mark will be taken away for every wrong answer.
The table below shows the section-wise distribution of marks in BITSAT 2018:
It must be noted that the question paper and the time slot has been decided keeping in mind that even average students can complete it in 3 hours. Those students who can complete the entire question paper before 3 hours are given the opportunity to take 12 extra questions which will give those students an extra edge in the selection process.
BITSAT 2018 Subject Wise Syllabus
BITSAT 2018 will comprise of 5 sections which will cover subjects like maths, biology (for pharmacy), basic English, Physics, Chemistry, logical reasoning. Follow the table below for BITSAT 2018:
|Physics||Units of measurement, Newton’s Law of Motion, Impulse and momentum, work and energy, rotational motion, Gravitation, mechanics of solids and fluids etc.|
|Chemistry||Atomic structure, Thermodynamics, Electrochemistry, Surface chemistry etc.|
|Maths||Algebra, Theory of Quadric equations, Complex numbers, Geometric and Harmonic equations, arithmetic, exponential series etc.|
|Logical reasoning||Binary logic, verbal reasoning, non verbal reasoning, Alphabet reasoning etc.|
|English||Reading comprehension, verbal reasoning, verbal ability, Compositions, word formations, vocabulary, Synonyms, antonyms etc|
|Biology||Structure and functions of cell, genetics, structure and functions of plants, reproductive system, growth and movement etc|
Preparation Tips for BITSAT 2018 Exam
- Chemistry: Prepare according to the syllabus provided in BITSAT 2018 brochure. This section will cover a number of topics so mark the important topics so that you can revise it later. Be thorough with your class 11 and 12 NCERT books and you can also refer to some good books like “comprehensive coverage of NCERT syllabus”, “organic chemistry” by Paul Bruice, “Physical chemistry” by O.P Tandon, “Organic chemistry” by Morrison Boyd etc for additional practice.
- Maths: This section will cover a combination of topics like geometry, algebra, trigonometry, statistics etc. Practice makes maths perfect. Prepare a time table and dedicate some quality time to practice maths. You can also refer to “13 practice papers BITSAT 2016” , 8th edition by GKP, “Objective mathematics” by R.D Sharma, “ IIT mathematics” by M.L Khanna, “Higher Algebra” by Hall and Knight etc for more practice.
- English: This section is will cover basic English to test a students ability to comprehend, read and compose. Grammar is like maths, the more you practice the better will be your proficiency in the subject. You can refer to books like BITSAT English proficiency and logical reasoning, BITSAT explorer by MTG editorial books, Pearson complete guide to BITSAT English etc.
- Biology: Majority of the questions in this section will be covered from your class 11 and 12 books. Thus the best way to prepare for this section is to revise. Revision will minimize the chances of forgetting topics and will also keep you updated. You can also practice various papers and quiz available online.
- Physics: This section will mainly test the conceptual clarity of a candidate in physics. Besides you can refer to a number of good books which are available in the market. You can also practice BITSAT sample and BITSAT practice online which will make you accustomed to online test and you will be more confident on the day of the actual examination.
- Logical reasoning: This section will cover 10 questions. Logical reasoning involves a precondition, a logical conclusion and a rule that explains the conclusion. It can be deductive reasoning (mathematical logic), inductive reasoning (problem of induction) or Abductive reasoning (based on hypothesis).