Pre-matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities: The Government of India will invite applications from students of class 9 and 10 for Pre-matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities 2019. This scheme has been renewed and it is effective from 1st April 2018. The Application form for the session will be released tentatively in July 2019 and the last date to apply will be in the month of October 2019. The main aim of this scheme is to provide the opportunities for higher education to the students having more than 40% disability (medically certified by the authority of State Government or UTs). The scheme aims at recognizing and promoting quality and education amongst students with disabilities by providing full financial support.
Subscribe For Latest Updates
Eligibility Criteria For Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students With Disabilities
Candidates applying for this scholarship scheme must possess the below-mentioned eligibility criteria. He/she should be a regular, full-time student studying in class IX and X in a govt school or in a school recognized by govt or by a Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
- The scholarship is open to nationals of India only.
- All the six scholarships are applicable to students with disabilities with more than 40% disability and having a valid certificate of disability as prescribed under the rules issued by the competent authority.
- Not more than two children with disabilities of the same parents will be entitled to receive benefits of the scheme. Provided in case, the second child is a twin, the scholarship under this scheme will be admissible to both the twins.
- Scholarship for studying in any class will be available for only one year. If a student has to repeat a class, he/she would not get the scholarship for that class for a second year.
- A scholarship holder under this scheme will not hold any other scholarship/stipend. If awarded any other scholarship/stipend, the student can exercise his/her option of either of the two scholarship/stipends, whichever is more beneficial to him/her and should inform the awarding authority through the head of the Institution about the option made.
- Scholarship holder who is receiving coaching in any of the pre-examination training centres with financial assistance from the central Government/ state government will not be eligible for a stipend under the coaching schemes for the duration of the coaching programme.
- Pre-matric and post-matric scholarship shall be paid to the students whose parents/guardians income from all sources does not exceed Rs.250000/-
Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students With Disabilities
The students with the specified disabilities defined in the schedule of the rights of persons with disabilities act, 2016 will be eligible for the scholarship of the DEPwD. The list of specified disabilities as included in this act is given below.
|S. No||Disabilities in PwD Act 1995||Disabilities in RpwD Act 2016|
|3.||Leprosy cured||Leprosy cured person|
|4.||Hearing impaired||Hearing impaired (deaf and hard of hearing)|
|5.||Locomotor Disability||Locomotor Disability|
|6.||Mental Retardation||Intellectual disability|
|7.||Mental illness||Mental illness|
|8.||Autism spectrum disorder|
|11.||Chronic neurological conditions|
|12.||Specific learning disabilities|
|14.||Speech and language disabilities|
|17.||Sickle cell disease|
|18.||Multiple disabilities including deaf blindness|
|19.||Acid attack victim|
Reservation of Slots For Girl Students
50% of the total scholarship available each year for pre-matric, post-matric and top class education shall be reserved for girl candidates. However, in case of the adequate number of girl candidates are not available or not found eligible as per the terms and conditions of the scheme, the unutilized slots can be utilized by selecting suitable male candidates.
The amount of pre-matric scholarship includes the following for the complete duration of the course.
- Maintainance allowance
- Book agent
- Disability allowance
Rate of Scholarship
|Rate of maintainance allowance (in Rs per month) payabale for 12 months in an academic year.||500||800|
Book grant: Rs 1000/- per annum
The different types of allowances related to disabilities shall be payabale as under.
|S. No||Types of disability||Amount (Rs. Per annum)|
|3.||Physically disabled (OH)||Rs.2000|
|4.||Intellectual disabilities||Rs. 4000|
|5.||All other types of disability not covered under above||Rs.2000|
The application can be done online only with the following steps:
- Click here before applying online.
- Click on “New User? Register”.
- Now, click on “Pre-matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities” under Department of empowerment of person with disabilities.
- Fill the details to register.
- An application id and password will be generated on the computer screen and an OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number
- Enter OTP number and confirm.
- Now, start filling the form.
- Click on “Final Submit” to submit the application form.
Merit Criteria for Selection
The following factors will be taken into consideration:
- Fulfilment of eligibility conditions as given in the scheme.
- Recommendation of the state education department
- No. of slots available to the state
- The merit of the candidates in terms of percentage of marks obtained in the qualifying examination.
- In case of a tie in the percentage of marks, the percentage of disability will be considered. i.e the candidates with the higher percentage of disability will get preference. In case there is still a tie, the age will be considered i.e the older candidates will get preference.
Documents Are To Be Uploaded On Portal While Applying For The Scholarship (if needed)
The following documents are to be uploaded:
- Domicile Certificate
- Student Photograph
- Self-attested certificate of previous academic mark sheet
- Fee receipt of current course year.
- Scanned copy of Aadhar Card or Enrollment
- Income certificate issued by the Designated State or UT Authority
- Proof of bank account in the name of the student or joint account with mother or father
- Disability Certificate.
Benefits of Pre-Matric Scholarship For Students With Disability
- Reader Allowance for blind scholar: INR 240 per month
- Transport allowance: INR 160 per month
- Escort allowance: INR 160 per month
- Special allowance: INR 160 per month
- Coaching allowance: INR 240 per month
- Book Allowance: INR 1500 per annum
Scholars will receive enrolment/registration fee, tuition fee, union fee, library and magazine fee, exam fee, and other up to a maximum of INR 1.5 lac. If the scholar failed for the first time the scholarship will be renewed, and for second and subsequent failure, the scholar will have to bear his/her own expenses. If a scholar is unable to appear in the final exam, then the scholarship may be renewed for the next year but they provide the proof certifying illness or any other unforeseeable event. The fee will be transferred directly to the students’ bank accountThis scholarship is for completing the course however it is applicable for only 10 months in a year.