The study of the past always holds importance. Historians study the past events and gather information based on the data and numerous resources. The work of the history academician is presenting the past records and maintaining the facts straight which can often be contradicted in the present. Apart from holding research on Historical information, they also provide advice and guidance on Historical topics as well as writing reports, articles and books on Historical findings and theories.
The idea of taking a History as a discipline can be very much questioned but it is seen as one of the most highly demanded profession in various Government organizations as well as Think Tanks. If planning for Civil Services, History is preferred by candidates as it not only limits itself to the study of the past but also presents the cultural and social condition through which society is born. A degree in History can be utilized in various significant skills.
For more of the details if interested in taking History as a discipline, go through the article mentioned below containing all the required information.
For those interested in pursuing History and making it a career choice can go through the career options mentioned below. Apart from teaching, there are plenty of opportunities which can be explored under History. From working for the Government Organizations to Research Think tanks, the choices are many. History consists in itself the variety of topics with cultural, social and political phenomena which is demanding for various sectors.
Government Organizations: Apart from being useful if planning for Civil services, the candidates from the discipline can also conduct research to provide historical context for current policy issues or do some other related work. Intelligence agencies also hire Historians to write the history of significant moments or events from the History.
Research: After adopting History as a major, one can go for the thorough research programme under this discipline and choose Research Historian as a career. There are many organizations which encourage Historical Research, the noted one is Indian Council of Historian Research (ICHR) which encourages new researchers.
Teaching: Being one of the most preferred profession, teaching is also a safe option if opting for History. After earning a PhD degree and qualifying JRF exam, you can become a professor in a University or college. One can also opt for the High School teaching or post-secondary teacher with a B.ed Degree.
Historical Associations: There are various Historical associations where historians preserve artefacts and explain the historical significance of a wide variety of subjects such as Historic buildings, battlegrounds, religious groups etc. The deep and thorough knowledge is required for these form of organizations as the purpose is to preserve the culture and historical importance of the monuments.
Editing and Publishing: History candidates can also find employment in a wide area of Publishing, including University presses, textbook and trade houses, magazines and journals, professional associations, museums and institutional publication offices.
Consultants and Contractors: This work profile is ideal for those who are adventurous or prefer flexibility and a variety of projects. History consultants can perform jobs such as preparing surveying sites, processing an archival collection for a corporation or researching an exhibit for a museum or court case. Historians are also hired on a contract basis often to work on projects in Historic preservation, archaeology, Architectural history, landscape architecture and litigation.
Institutes offering History as a Discipline:
Go through the names of the colleges and courses offered by them in History. There are well-renowned Universities and Institutes around who offers History as a full-fledged course both in Bachelors and Masters with a competent faculty and well-researched curriculum. Go through the details of the Institutes in both India and Abroad from the tabular format below.
Institutes offering History in India:
|Delhi University, New Delhi|| |
|St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai|| |
|Loyola College, Chennai|| |
|Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune|| |
|Stella Maris College, Chennai||Bachelor of Arts in History|
|Presidency College, Chennai|| |
|Rajasthan University, Rajasthan|| |
|Mysore University, Mysore||M.A. in History|
|Tamil University, Tamil Nadu|| |
Institutes offering History abroad:
|Yale University, United States|| |
|The Australian National University, Australia|| |
|University of Toronto, Canada|| |
|University College London, United Kingdom|| |
|University of California, Los Angeles, United States||Graduate and Undergraduate courses offered in History|
How to Pursue a career in History:
Candidates interested in this discipline often find themselves confused with the idea of either opting History as a sole discipline or opting it with the other social sciences options. We will be informing you how either of the choices can work to your benefit as there are institutes and universities which offer this discipline in both the ways. Read in the below points the degrees that can be pursued under this discipline and what will be the eligibility of applying to them.
- After a qualifying class 12th exam with Humanities or any other stream, you can pursue B.A. (Hons.) in History for 3 years and go for Master of arts in History after that for 1 to 2 years. The Post graduation can be done either from India or from Abroad, there are plenty of Universities offering this discipline. If interested in Research, go for M.Phil in History which will be of 2 years and pursue PhD for 3-4 years after that. It should be noted that the PhD can also be pursued right after Masters if you have all the required qualifications.
- If the candidate had Humanities in class 12th with History as a subject, you can pursue B.A. (Hons.) in History for 3 years or take it as a co-discipline with any other social Sciences subject. After graduation, you can appear for UPSC exam.
- Some of the candidates opt for getting a job. After pursuing Bachelors in History for 3 years and completing Masters of 2 years after that, you can go for Government sector jobs such as Archaeological Survey of India, National Human Rights Commission etc. You can also opt for working with Non-Government Sector and collaborate with any of their community projects.
There are plenty of professions which demand History majors for their described work profile. The work description of every sector varies as per the eligibility or skills required by the project. Find the work description of various professions mentioned in the points below.
- Advising individuals and institutions in their research regarding in the issues such as Historical authenticity of materials or the customs of the specific historical period.
- If working for some organization which collects historical data of some major event which happened in past, the job of the History major will be to interview people to gather information regarding the historical events and maintain the oral historical record.
- Research on and prepare manuscripts in support of public programming and the development of exhibits at historic sites, museums, libraries and archives.
- Impart and conduct research in the colleges and universities, museums and other research agencies and schools.
- Gather Historical data from sources such as archives, court records, diaries, new files and photographs.
- Conduct historical research for the identification, conservation and reconstruction of Historic places and materials.
- Recommend actions related to Historical art, such as which item to add to a collection or which one to be displayed in the exhibition.