GATE stands for General Aptitude Test in Engineering and is the qualifying examination to pursue the Master’s Degree or Doctoral Degree in Engineering, Architecture and Technology in Institutes aided by the MHRD or the government. GATE is also the minimum qualification for admission in several private institutions. Several Public sector undertakings also consider GATE scores in the recruitment process.
Subscribe For Latest Updates
GATE is administered by the Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore) and Indian Institute of Technology (i.e. IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Roorkee and Madras)
GATE 2018 – General Aptitude Test in Engineering
GATE 2018 will be a computer-based exam that will be conducted between 3rd and 11th February 2018. The exam will be conducted to test the general aptitude and comprehensive understanding of students in various undergraduate courses. GATE subjects are also called papers. GATE 2018 will be conducted for 23 papers or subjects across India as well as abroad. Out of these 23 papers, candidates can apply for only one paper. It must be noted that Gate scores are valid up to 3 years.
GATE 2018 will be solely administered by the administering Institutes. For administrative convenience, the exam will be conducted in different zones in India. Each of these zones will be managed by a zonal GATE office at the administering institutes of IIT and IISc. Every year one of the administering institutes is given the responsibility to conduct GATE exam. GATE 2018 will be conducted by IIT Guwahati. Some of the important points about GATE 2018 are:
- The application form for GATE 2018 will be available online.
- Payment of application fees must also be completed online. Candidates must not post the application form or money to the administering office.
- GATE 2018 will be conducted both in the afternoon session as well as in the forenoon session.
- For some papers, multiple session may be conducted but candidates must appear for the examination in one session only.
- GATE 2018 admit card will also be available online and will not be sent separately to the candidate. Admit card can be downloaded from the official GOAPS website.
Important Dates Relating To GATE 2018
Candidates aspiring to sit for GATE 2018 must keep themselves updated with the upcoming events relating to GATE 2018. The important dates relating to GATE 2018 are provided in the table below:
|An opening of GOAPS (GATE Online Application Processing System)||Friday, 1st September 2017.|
|Last date of submitting online application form||Thursday, 5th October, 2017.|
|Last date to change examination city:||Friday, 17th November, 2017.|
|Release of GATE 2018 Admit card:||Friday, 5th January, 2018.|
|GATE 2018 Exam:|
I) Forenoon: 9am to 12PM (Noon).
II) Afternoon: 2pm to 5pm.
|Saturday, 3rd February, 2018.|
Sunday, 4th February, 2018.
Saturday, 10th February, 2018.
Sunday, 11th February, 2018.
|Announcement of GATE 2018 Results||Saturday, 17th March, 2018.|
Eligibility Criteria For GATE 2018
The eligibility criteria for GATE 2018 are the pre-requisite conditions that applicants must meet to be able to take the exam. Candidates must fit all the eligibility criteria laid down by the exam conducting authority before filling up the application form of the exam. The General GATE 2018 Eligibility Criteria is given below:
- Indian National Candidates are eligible to apply.
- These candidates must have completed or are in their final year of Bachelor’s Degree of Engineering or Post-graduate (M. Sc.) degree in any science subject.
- Applicants from Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E) can also apply provided they have completed or are in their final year of Bachelor’s Degree of Engineering or Post-graduate (M. Sc.) degree in any science subject.
- There is no minimum percentage of marks required to apply for GATE 2018.
- There is no age limit to appear in GATE 2018 examination.
GATE 2018 Application Process
The administering institutes of GATE have introduced an online portal via which candidates can apply for GATE 2018, download and print their admit card, view GATE 2018 results and download and print out the scorecard. Candidates must follow the steps given below to complete the application process:
Register with GOAPS
Candidates must register in GOAPS online portal by providing their name, email id and phone number. In order to complete the application process, candidates must also set an account password. Candidates must provide a valid email id and phone number that they are currently using for all future communication will be done via email or SMS. Upon successful registration, the candidate will be provided with an enrollment id. The enrollment Id will be sent to the registered email id.
Fill The Application Form
Registered candidates can log in using their enrollment id and password. After logging in click on “start GATE 2018 application form”. Students are suggested not to fill the form through a third person. Candidates must fill in the following data in the application form:
- Personal details: Name, mobile number, date of birth, email id, address etc.
- Educational qualification: Details about the qualifying examination, Name and address of the college last attended etc.
- Exam centre: While filling up the application form, candidates must also mention the exam centre where they want to write the exam. A candidate can select a maximum of three exam centres only.
- Documents needed: Candidates must upload the scanned copy of their degree certificate, certificate of their category, signature, PwD certificate. (The details of the prescribed documents and the format to upload them are provided below)
Application Fee Payment
The payment options are provided in the GOAPS payment gateway. The application fees for male candidates (General and OBC) is Rs 1500 and for ST, SC and PWD candidates the application fees is Rs 750. The application fees for women (all categories) is also Rs 750. International students must pay an amount of USD 50. The payment can be done using credit card, debit card or via e- challan.
Your GATE 2018 application form will be successfully submitted after once you hit the “confirm and submit” button.
Documents Required For GATE 2018
The documents required during GATE 2018 application process are prescribed by the GATE administering committee. The documents and the format to upload them are provided in the table below:
|ID Proof( PAN card, Voters Id card, Aadhaar card, college Id, driving license etc):||Enter the card number in the appropriate box provided for in the application form .|
|Category certificate (ST/ SC/PWD/ Dyslexic certificate):||Candidates must upload category certificate at the time pf application form submission (except of PWD and dyslexic certificate which a candidate must submit at the time of counselling).|
|Passport sized photograph:|
GATE 2018 Admit Card
GATE 2018 Admit card will be released on the 5th of January 2018. Candidates can download their admit card from the official website of GAOPS. The admit card will not be sent separately to the candidate via post. Candidates must bring in their admit card along with valid documents of identification like PAN card, voter’s Id card etc, mentioned by the candidate at the time of form submission.
The admit card will be accepted only if the photograph attached to it is clear. It is suggested to print the photograph by a laser printer and in A4 size paper. Besides the admit card, the candidate must also bring a valid Id proof on the day of their examination.
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern And Marks Distribution
In order to prepare for the exam, candidates must be aware of the exam pattern. Exam pattern usually includes the details about GATE exam like duration of the exam, the marking scheme, subjects in each paper, maks per question, time slots, etc.
Exam pattern for GATE 2018 is given in the following points:
- GATE Examination will be held for total 3 hours.
- There will be 23 papers (subjects) in GATE 2018.
- the exam will be conducted in online mode i.e. computer-based mode.
- Total marks for the exam is 100 marks.
- Question paper will consist of multiple choice questions.
- There will be a total of 65 questions from numerical quantitative aptitude.
- 55 questions will be from core subjects and engineering mathematics. 10 questions will be from General Aptitude.
- Some questions will be marked out of 1 and some out of 2. only the MCQs will have negative marking.
- For 1 mark question, 1/3 mark will be deducted for an incorrect answer.
- For 2 mark question, 2/3 mark will be deducted for an incorrect answer.
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern For AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE :
- engineering mathematics will only carry 15% of the marks.
- General aptitude will also carry 15% marks.
- The subject of the paper will carry the rest of 70% marks.
GATE 2018 exam pattern for AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL:
- General aptitude will carry 15% if the marks.
- The subject of the paper will carry the rest of 85% marks.
GATE 2018 Answer Key
The official answer key for GATE 2018 will be released online on the official website. There will be individual question papers and answer keys for all the papers and sessions. Candidates can check the answer key, cross-check their answers and have an idea of the probable score that they will obtain in the exam. In case a candidate has any problem with any of the answer key, he/she can challenge it within a specific period of time. There are unofficial answer keys also released by some coaching institutes. They are however not fully reliable.
Result Of GATE 2018
GATE 2018 result will be declared online on the official website on 17th March 2018. only those candidates who have taken the exam will be able to access the result. Candidates will have to enter their enrollment ID and password to view their result which will be displayed in the form of a score card.
After the results have been declared, a cut-off will also be released, which will be the qualifying marks that the candidates need to obtain in order to be eligible for counselling. Candidates must make sure that they download and take a print of the score card which will be valid for 3 years from the date of exam.
Counselling For GATE 2018
The Counselling for GATE 2018 is expected to commence in the month of April 2018. The counselling is held separately by the IITs, NITs and other institutes for the post-graduate courses. After having qualified GATE, candidates will have to appear for GD/PI for admission. All the participating institutes will release the counselling schedule and candidates will have to check the notifications released by each of these institutes.
For admission to IIITs and NITs and some government funded institutes (CFTIs), counsellings will be conducted through (CCMT)Centralized Counselling for M Tech/M Arch which is an online admission procedure to get enrolled in NITs and CFTIs.
For admission to IITs, counselling will be conducted through COAP i.e. Common Offer Acceptance Portal. This will provide the candidates a common platform to make a preferred choice in M. Tech programs in the IITs. All the participating IITs will upload admission offers in a common window. All those candidates who plan to take part in the admission rounds will have to register at the COAP official website.
Employment After GATE
there are several Public Sector Undertakings that employ candidates on the basis of the score obtained in GATE. National Thermal Power Corporation, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Power Grid Corporation, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation are such PSUs that consider the GATE examination as their Screening exam for the selection of candidates.
Things To Remember About GATE 2018
- Candidates must not carry any calculator, mobile phone or any electronic device in the examination hall. Candidates found with any such devices will be immediately disqualified.
- Candidates will be provided with a virtual on-screen calculator to solve numerical questions. Besides the numerical, all other questions will be Multiple Choice Question Type.
- Before the examination starts biometric information may be asked from randomly selected candidates.
- In case of any issues, the decision of the GATE 2018 Committee will be final and binding over all candidates.
- Since GATE 2018 will be conducted by IIT Guwahati, any dispute relating to the exam will be resolved and settled by the High Court of Guwahati. It has the sole authority to entertain any dispute relating to GATE 2018.
- GATE 2018 results will be declared in the official GOAPS website.