The Indian Statistical Institute, Commonly known as ISI, is widely considered as one of the leading institutes in the world for the study of statistics and related sciences. ISI has its headquarters in Kolkata and that was where it was established. However, over the years, it has spread its centres to major cities of India such as Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai and Tezpur. Apart from that, the institute also devotes to the study of agricultural and sociological research at its centre in Giridih. It also has a network of units at Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Pune and Mumbai involved in Statistical Quality Control and Operations Research.
The notification for 2019 admissions in B Stat (Hons.), B Math (Hons.), M Stat, M Math, MS (QE), MS (QMS), MS (LIS), M Tech (CS), M Tech (CrS), M Tech (QROR), PG Diplomas and Research Fellowships programmes offered by the institute was released.
The selection of candidates for various courses will be dependent on their performance in the written Admission Test and the subsequent interview.
- 1 Important Dates Regarding ISI Admissions 2019
- 2 Application Procedure for ISI Admission 2019
- 3 Eligibility Criteria for ISI Admission 2019
- 4 Exam Pattern and Syllabus
- 5 Admit Card for ISI Admission Test
- 6 ISI 2019 Answer Key:
- 7 Results of ISI Admission Test
- 8 Counselling for ISI Admission
- 9 Seat Availability for ISI Admission
Important Dates Regarding ISI Admissions 2019
The following tentative dates shall be important for ISI 2019 Admission:
On-line Application Starts February 2019 On-line Application Ends March 2019 Payment of Application Fee Starts February 2019 Payment of Application Fee Ends March 2019 Issue of Admit Card Starts April 2019 ISI Admission Test May 2019
Application Procedure for ISI Admission 2019
- The application form for ISI shall be available online on the website https://www.isical.ac.in/~admission/ . Please ensure that you have the minimum educational qualification required for a particular course before filling the application form.
- Candidates who are appearing in the qualifying exam may also apply but they must have passed the examination by 1st July 2019.
- Only Indian candidates can apply online through the online admission portal of ISI mentioned above. Candidates residing outside India must contact the Dean’s office at the e-mail address: [email protected] .
The application procedure shall include the following steps:
- Register at ISI admission Portal and create your Login Account.
- Fill the application form.
- Upload your photograph and signature – Candidates seeking admissions under reserved categories must also upload their respective category certificates issued by a competent authority.
- Pay the application fees – The application fee can be paid only after two working days have passed since the completion of filling the application form. The fee can be paid using credit card/Debit card/netbanking on the state bank of India (SBI) collect website that you shall be redirected to.
- The application fee shall be as follows:
General Rs. 1000/- OBC(NCL)/SC/ST/PwD Rs. 500/-
Please note that you shall have to pay bank charges in addition to that.
Eligibility Criteria for ISI Admission 2019
For every course that you wish to apply for, there is a minimum eligibility condition that you must meet in order to be eligible for admission. Please proceed to fill the application form only after ensuring that you are eligible for that particular course you are applying for.
The minimum educational qualification for each course offered by ISI is outlined in the table below:
|3-year Bachelor of Statistics (Hons)||Successful completion of 10+2 years of Higher Secondary Education (or its equivalent) with Mathematics and English as subjects|
|3-year Bachelor of Mathematics (Hons)||Successful completion of 10+2 years of Higher Secondary Education (or its equivalent) with Mathematics and English as subjects|
|2-year Master of Statistics||3-year Bachelor’s degree or a B.E./B.Tech. degree with Statistics as a subject, |
B.Math. Degree from Indian Statistical Institute (ISI),
PG Diploma in Statistical Methods and analytics from ISI
|2-year Master of Mathematics||3-year Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, |
B.Stat. degree from ISI,
B.E./B.Tech. degree with Mathematics as a subject.
|2-year Master of Science in Quantitative Economics||3-year Bachelor’s degree in any discipline and have passed the 12th standard examination with Mathematics as a subject|
|2-year Master of Science in Quality Management Science||3-year Bachelor’s degree with Mathematics as a subject, |
B.E./B.Tech. degree in any discipline
|2-year Master of Science in Library and Information Science||3-year Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|2-year Master of Technology in Computer Science||Master’s degree in Mathematics/ Statistics/ Physics/ Electronic Science/ Computer Science/Computer Applications/Information Technology |
B.E./B.Tech. degree or any other qualification considered equivalent (such as AMIE or, DOEACC ‘B’ Level)
|2-year Master of Technology in Cryptology and Security|| |
Master’s degree in Mathematics/ Statistics/ Physics/ Electronic Science/ Computer Science/ Computer Applications/ Information Technology
B.E./B.Tech. degree or any other qualification considered equivalent (such as AMIE or, DOEACC ‘B’ Level).
|2-year Master of Technology in Quality, Reliability & Operations Research||Master’s degree in Statistics with Physics and Chemistry at (10+2) level |
Master’s degree in Mathematics with Statistics as subjects in the undergraduate or post-graduate level and Physics and Chemistry at (10+2) level
B.E./B.Tech. degree or any other qualification considered (such as AMIE).
|1-year Post-Graduate Diploma in Statistical Methods and Analytics||3 year Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with Mathematics as a subject |
B.E./B. Tech. degree or any other qualification considered equivalent (such as AMIE).
|1-year Post-Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications||3-year Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with Mathematics as a subject (Offered at Giridih).|
Exam Pattern and Syllabus
The entrance test for each course shall include two papers each. One paper shall have to be attempted in the morning session and the other in the Afternoon session. The papers shall be both objective and Descriptive in nature.
The written test shall be followed by an interview of the shortlisted candidates.
The following table explains the subject matter for each of the tests and the test type. However, it should be noted the pattern and timings of the exam mentioned is a tentative one and it might be different for ISI 2019 Admission Test.
Forenoon 10:30 hrs to 12:30 hrs
Afternoon 14:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs
|3-year Bachelor of Statistics (Hons)||Maths||MCQ||Maths||Descriptive|
|3-year Bachelor of Mathematics (Hons)||Maths||MCQ||Maths||Descriptive|
|2-year Master of Statistics||Maths, Statistics||MCQ||Maths, Statistics||Descriptive|
|2-year Master of Mathematics||Maths||MCQ||Maths||Descriptive|
|2-year Master of Science in Quantitative Economics||Maths||MCQ||Economics||MCQ|
|2-year Master of Science in Quality Management Science||Maths||MCQ||Math||Descriptive|
|2-year Master of Science in Library and Information Science||Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning||MCQ||Essays and English Comprehension||Descriptive|
|2-year Master of Technology in Computer Science||Maths||MCQ||Math/Phys/Stat/Engg/Tech/Comp Sci||Descriptive|
|2-year Master of Technology in Cryptology and Security||Maths||MCQ||Math/Phys/Stat/Engg/Tech/Comp Sci||Descriptive|
|2-year Master of Technology in Quality, Reliability & Operations Research||Maths||MCQ||Stat/Prob/Math/Engg||Descriptive|
|1-year Post-Graduate Diploma in Statistical Methods and Analytics||Maths||MCQ||No Test||—|
|1-year Post-Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications||Maths, Statistics||MCQ||No Test||—|
Marking Scheme for MCQ:
- Correct Answer: 4 marks
- Wrong Answer: 0 mark
- Unattempted Question: 1 mark
The following table explains the subject matter for each of the tests and the test type for JRF Courses:
Forenoon 10:30 hrs to 12:30 hrs
Afternoon 14:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs
|Statistics||Math, Statistics||Descriptive||Math, statistics||Descriptive|
|Computer Science||Math||MCQ||Math/ Stat/ Phys/ Electro, Elect Engg/ Comp Science||Descriptive|
|Quality, Reliability & Operations Research||Math||MCQ||Math, Stat, OR, SQC, Reliability, Quality Management & Systems||Descriptive|
|Biological Science||Biology, Basic Statistics||MCQ||Biology, Basic Statistics||Descriptive|
|Library and Information Science||Library and Information Science||MCQ||Library and Information Science||Descriptive|
Admit Card for ISI Admission Test
The admit card for appearing in the entrance test shall be released on the ISI admission portal. The candidates will be notified through their Email ID regarding the release of admit cards.
The Registration number of the candidate shall be released along with the admit card. Candidates must retain their Registration number for all the subsequent correspondence.
The admit card can be downloaded in the following steps:
- Visit the admission portal of ISI www.isical.ac.in/~admission/index.html . Alternatively, you can also follow the link that shall be mailed to you when the admit card is generated.
- Log in providing the credentials asked for.
- Download and print your admit card.
ISI 2019 Answer Key:
The final answer key of ISI Entrance exam 2019 will be released by the examination conducting body. Candidates who appeared for the exam can go through the Answer Key and cross-check the answers marked by them in the entrance exam. Candidates will be able to evaluate the score secured by them in the Entrance exam of ISI 2019.
Results of ISI Admission Test
The ISI Result list will contain the names of only those candidates who have qualified the written entrance test. The Date and Time of the interview schedule are also mentioned in the List.
The results of the admission test conducted by ISI shall be published online on their Admission portal. The results shall be published in a pdf format which the candidates will have to download and take a printout of. Candidates will be called for interview after the declaration of results of the written test based on their performance. The final results will be declared after the completion of the interview round.
The results can be viewed in the following steps:
- Visit the admission portal of ISI.
- Click on the link for results that shall be available there.
- Select your course in which you had given the test.
- Results will appear in pdf format.
- Download the result and take a printout for future reference.
Counselling for ISI Admission
The admission authority shall invite meritorious candidates for interview based on their performance in the admission test. Candidates will then finally be selected for admission into various courses based on their performance in the interview.
The counselling procedure for admission shall include the following steps:
- The admission authority will release the list of selected candidates and the seats they have been allotted. Wait lists of candidates will also be published.
- Download the counselling call letter and visit the counselling venue in person on the appointed date and time as notified with the result.
- You must carry all your original documents along with a set of photocopies.
- Accept the seat allotted to you before the given deadline or it shall be forfeited.
- After getting your documents verified, you must pay the admission fees and confirm your admission finally.
Seat Availability for ISI Admission
The course-wise availability of seats for each category is given in the table below as notified by ISI. This data is taken from last year’s notification, we will keep updating if new information announced.
|3-year Bachelor of Statistics (Hons)||50||25||14||7||4|
|3-year Bachelor of Mathematics (Hons)||50||25||14||7||4|
|2-year Master of Statistics||30||15||8||5||2|
|2-year Master of Mathematics||20||10||5||3||2|
|2-year Master of Science in Quantitative Economics (Delhi)||27||14||7||4||2|
|2-year Master of Science in Quantitative Economics (Kolkata)||18||9||5||3||1|
|2-year Master of Science in Quality Management Science||16||8||5||2||1|
|2-year Master of Science in Library and Information Science||10||5||3||1||1|
|2-year Master of Technology in Computer Science||35||18||9||5||3|
|2-year Master of Technology in Cryptology and Security||20||10||5||3||2|
|2-year Master of Technology in Quality, Reliability & Operations Research||25||13||7||4||1|
|1-year Post-Graduate Diploma in Statistical Methods and Analytics||30||15||8||5||2|
|1-year Post-Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications||15||8||4||2||1|
- 3% of seats in each category shall be reserved for Persons with Disability (PwD).
- 50% of the seats in the course Post-Graduate Diploma in Statistical Methods and Analytics shall be reserved for candidates from Northeast India.
Please write to us in the comments section below regarding your doubts and queries. Your feedbacks are also valuable to us.